Key core question

Old 02-19-15, 08:22 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Key core question

I want to beef up my deadbolts in the house. Currently, it looks like there is a Reliant brand lock all around the place. However, with some door work we have going on, The locks would be a mixture of Kwikset and Schlage. Would I be able to remove the core and transfer them? If so, how? Or is this something I need to bring a locksmith out for?

Old 02-20-15, 05:34 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If your looking to have them all keyed alike there going to have to all be the same brand.
Schlage is the best of the three brands you mentioned.
If you take the Schlage and the key for it to any Lowes or Home Depot they could key the new locks all alike. Any I've had done they did not even charge me.
Not sure how just changing the dead bolt is going to add to security unless your worryed about people in the past still having a key.

Old 02-20-15, 07:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
My house has Kwiksets because it came with them but I would use Schlage if I had to replace them. I've looked at higher quality locks but could never justify the price difference.

Old 02-20-15, 07:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I know the kwikset locks are interchangeable with a few brands but I don't think Schlage is one of them. Our resident locksmith should be along later with better info for you

Old 02-20-15, 01:18 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
No, not between Kwikset and Schlage. And I'm not familiar with "Reliant", however "Defiant" is a common import clone sold in Big Box stores, and their deadbolt cores will not transfer to Kwikset, but there's a small possibility they might transfer to Schlage deadbolts, depending on the model, but I sure wouldn't count on it.

On the other hand, Kwikset and Schlage are 2 of the most common keyways around, and most imported locks use one of these keyways. Take one of your "Reliant" keys and see if it will easily go into a Schlage or Kwikset lock. (Or take it to your local smithy who can tell you).

So to be clear, the "cores" (cylinders) are probably not interchangeable between these 3 brands, but your Reliants may well have the same keyway as Schlage or Kwikset, meaning one or the other can be rekeyed to fit your existing key.

Old 02-20-15, 04:11 PM
F
joecaption1, I just think my Defiant brand (incorrectly mentioned it as Reliant earlier, sorry) look chinsy and cheap.

We are about to do a door project and we wanted the door knobs to all match the interior ones. I found some good looking Schlage brand deadbolts, but the knobs are all Kwikset. We just want the house all keyed-alike. So are you telling me I am SOL? A locksmith cant help me?

Old 02-20-15, 07:54 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You have two really builder grade sets of knobs.
Lowes, Home Depot, any lumber yard or lock smith if you want to pay more can order keyed alike knobs and dead bolts in any numbers you need.
I've replace dozens of knobs and dead bolts in the two brands you mentioned because of not working and the plating was wearing off.
Never once had to replace a Schlage.
One of my rentals had three different doors and I used the Defiant, Kwic Set, and a Schlage lock set because I was trying to be cheap and had them laying around.
Two years later the tenet skip out and did not leave the keys so I had to change all of them.
The finish was gone on the Defiant and the Kwic Set and the keys where sticking.
The Schlage still looked brand new and worked perfect.

Old 02-21-15, 09:47 AM
R
OK, so you're not necessarily trying to match your Defiant keys, just so long as everything's keyed alike. I don't know the Kwikset knob style you have but Schlage has a style very close to Kwikset's most common style, called the "BEL" design, available in 3 finishes. The residential grade keyed entry function in this design is a "F51-BEL". Look at it online.

You might also want to consider not even using a keyed entry lock on your new doors with deadbolts. Spring-latch entry locks offer very little security compared to deadbolts, and there's always the risk of locking yourself out by accident.
Simply provide these doors with a Kwikset passage set just like your other doors.

At my house, we only use a keyed entry lock on a closet just to keep curious visitors and kids out. On exterior doors, with passage sets and deadbolts, there's never a possibility of lockouts while we're working on outdoor projects, and when we lock up to leave, we have to have the key, to lock the deadbolt every time. It's foolproof.

Old 02-22-15, 11:26 AM
There is a company called Kustom key, i think, who make replacement cylinders to allow a Kwikset to be keyed to a Schlage keyway. They will sell a complete housing (cylinder) that will retrofit into the Kwikset knob. Not all versions, but the Tylo or tulip shaped knobs.

They are very inexpensive and will allow the keying alike of different brands like Schlage and Kwikset. (Whereas - this was previously only known to locksmiths, you might find few actual locksmiths who know about this stuff)

Of course upgrading from that cheapo garbage to grade 2 or grade 1 hardware, will often allow you to key alike to almost any desired keyway, including higher-security or restricted and patent controlled key systems, that are often significantly more pick/bump resistant, but f it is security you are after....it doesnt matter which brand of deadbolt you use, if you do not adequately secure the frame (jamb).

Last edited by GlobalLocky; 02-22-15 at 11:36 AM. Reason: additional details
Old 02-22-15, 05:41 PM
F
Actually, I would like to keep the Reliant key so I wouldnt have to re-key the entire house, but if thats what it takes I will do it.

We were thinking about this for the exterior

Shop Kwikset Signature Lido SmartKey Satin Nickel Universal Keyed Entry Door Lever at Lowes.com

With this deadbolt

Shop Schlage Satin Nickel Single-Cylinder Deadbolt at Lowes.com

Old 02-22-15, 06:35 PM
R
OK, so we're back to post #5 where I asked you to find out what keyway your Defiant uses, by seeing if your Defiant key will go into a Kwikset or Schlage lock, or taking it to a locksmith for him to check. Many years ago, I think Defiant used the Kwikset/Dexter keyway, but they may come with a Schlage keyway now. We can probably identify it if we see a photo of it, but ultimately you have to see if it will go into Schlage or Kwikset lock.

The Kwikset lever style shown in your photo is available in an almost identical style/shape/finish as Schlage's "Flair" design, as well as 1 or 2 other similar designs. Again, you can see them on Schlage's website. "F-51-FLA" is it's part number, I believe.

And, as has become evident to you, the big boxes carry only a small selection of the designs and finishes available from these and other manufacturers, that can be ordered and keyed by your local smithy.

Old 02-22-15, 11:36 PM
I was at a customers house the other day who is getting tired of one of her key holders, constantly changing one of her Kwikset Smartkey locks....and then she calls me to change it back.
So I sold her the identical lock but without the Smartkey function.....that'll stuff him up!

Old 02-23-15, 07:08 AM
R
Global is referring to OP's choice of Kwikset entry lock, having the Smart Key feature....when it first came out a number of years ago, there were reliability and security issues making it a bad choice at that time. This feature is still on the market, so I assume it has been improved upon over the last few years. Still, unless a homeowner anticipates needing to rekey their house every few years, such as at a business, I think the standard cylinder versions will give better service.

Or again, why have 2 locks on the door?

Old 02-23-15, 10:38 AM
@rstripe

For some unexplainable reason....far too many homeowners still want to lock the knob. many will rarely even lock the deadbolt....dunno why.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make them drink.

Old 02-27-15, 06:40 AM
F
Went to Lowes to ask about having non-Smart Key cores and they said these locks only come with Smart Key. The stuff I read about Smart Key and how easily defeated and vulnerable they are has me somewhat on edge. There is not a way I can get a regular core for their locks??

Old 02-27-15, 09:32 AM
absolutely there is.
Kwikset still make them, although the big box stores dont sell them....dunno why.

Most locksmiths will be able to get them for you from their regular distributors.

Old 02-27-15, 08:56 PM
R
RE: SmartKey, this invention is made-to-order-perfect for the 2 big home improvement centers, that cater to the DIY'r. Just the idea of rekeying your home lock yourself, would be very appealing to the DIY'r. The manufacturer's representatives have done a good sell job to the Boxes, and I suspect this feature is more profitable than locks with the standard cylinder, because it can demand a significantly higher selling price, even tho the SmartKey cylinder is made up of cast and stamped parts, and can be mass-produced at only slightly higher cost than regular cylinders.

Old 03-11-15, 02:19 AM
F
I guess I wanted the lock on the knob in addition to the deadbolts for the added security. You saying its unnecessary?

Old 03-11-15, 11:25 AM
almost any residential knob can be easily defeated with Vise Grips or adjustable grips by simply forcing the handle. this makes them very poor security. A deadbolt cannot be defeated similarly. hence the necessity factor for security is just smoke and mirrors.

Old 03-12-15, 05:14 AM
F
Old 03-12-15, 04:32 PM
R
Precisely. And you won't lock yourself out by accident. But as Global said, the lockable lever locks are certainly available with the standard key cylinder, if you still want a lockable entry lock.

Old 03-12-15, 07:36 PM
if only they made a clutching version. then the handle break can be avoided. What is to stop anyone from forcing the handle?
Those are decorative handles, indeed. Stick with passage sets and use only single cylinder deadbolts. you wont be disappointed.

Old 03-13-15, 06:14 AM
F
So basically what I mentioned in my last post?...lol

Old 03-13-15, 05:57 PM
R
Precisely again. (Just don't forget the deadbolt).

Old 03-13-15, 07:01 PM
I bought a set of Weiserbolt locks 25 years ago and love them. It's impossible to lock yourself out of the house, requires only one hole in the door and cannot be defeated by pliers.

Old 03-14-15, 07:32 PM
R
The Weiserbolt was a neat invention that never really caught on. I put one on my folks house back then, but ended up replacing it a few years later. If my experience was typical, I can see why it didn't succeed.

1. It was more expensive than a typical entry lock & deadbolt package.

2. The ergonomics was poor compared to a separate entry lock & deadbolt.

3. It gave the impression there was no deadbolt present, so it was more inviting
to a pry open attempt.

4. You couldn't lock the knob and close the door behind you. While this is an
advantage for many folks, because it insures complete 1" deadbolting,
many others found it to be a hassle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: