latch hole too big?

Old 08-27-15, 12:27 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
latch hole too big?

A particular lockset was ordered for a particular door but I noticed when getting ready to install it that the barrel of the latch is 7/8" in diameter whereas the factory drilled hole in the door for the latch measures 1". So no way that can work, right? Need to order a lockset with a 1" size latch barrel, right?

Old 08-27-15, 01:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not really. The lockset should have come with a sleeve to go over the barrel to make it tighter. You can probably find one in the lockset department of a box store. You need to mortise the door edge to accept the lockset anyway. If your mortise is centered, it won't make much difference.

Old 08-27-15, 01:24 PM
Hmm. The lockset didn't come with any such sleeve to go over the barrel. So you're saying if I do without such a sleeve if I can manage to center the door edge mortise just right?

Old 08-27-15, 01:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've installed locketsets without the sleeve with no issues. You just need to make sure it's centered so it will line up with the rest of the lockset. Take a utility knife to score the outline of the barrel plate and then chisel it out.

Old 08-27-15, 01:46 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
It's likely opaque plastic, not necessarily going to stand out, so check your packaging to make sure you didn't just miss it, but you should be able to pick up one up at your hardware or big box. As mentioned, you can get by without it, but door latches are used every day, and consequently loosen over time, so I prefer having that piece in there.

Old 08-27-15, 02:18 PM
Yeah seems like if I had a sleeve it'd be a lot simpler to center the barrel/plate, but there is no dang sleeve with the lockset. Actually six identical locksets for the six identical doors I was planning on installing the locksets into. Just have to eyeball it I guess and hope I can get it centered just right. My location we have no big box stores either, to hunt for those sleeves if they are available separately as was mentioned, and the two hardware and building supply stores I've already checked with in my location either have never heard of them being available separately or insist that normally such sleeves are included with the locksets. But I swear my locksets (Schlage A-series "classroom" locksets) include no such sleeves.

Old 08-27-15, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Hold the latch centered, drill a couple tiny pilot holes where the screws will go. Put the latch on with the supplied screws. Then use a sharp utility knife to trace the outside of the latch mortise EXACTLY and don't slip. Be very careful on the sides where the wood remaining will be very narrow. Once you knife it approximately 1/8" deep, then remove the latch and chisel it out.

Old 08-27-15, 04:38 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Were only talking 1/16" on each side. I have changed out a lot of locks and I can't remember having any problem with a little looseness. Last resort I might have added a couple of layers of duct tape but never had to.

Old 08-27-15, 05:00 PM
I got in contact with the door hardware supply place from which the locksets were ordered and the guy there said said he'd order up the 1" diameter latches for me and send them without an extra charge. So I'll wait for those.
Then I'll proceed with the mortising and installation. Thanks for the replies.

Old 08-28-15, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just about all locksmiths will have (probably) hundreds of the adaptors laying around. Go into a shop and ask..;.they'll probably give them to you (to get rid of them)

Old 08-28-15, 12:49 PM
We have one locksmith in my small town. I'll check with him see what he says/has. thanks

Old 08-29-15, 04:42 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Not an issue if the lockset is properly adjusted for your door thickness. That type of latch usually connects to the type of lockset that adjusts for door thickness by rotating the outer rose one way or the other. Hold the lockset in the door and observe through latchbolt hole (latch removed) to see that the retractor mechanism is reasonably centered in the hole. That way you have a fair amount of tolerance, and it won't matter that the latch may be a bit loose in the hole, it won't become disengaged. The small amount of wiggle within the hole is of no consequence, as long as the latchplate is firmly fastened to the door's edge.

Old 08-29-15, 05:12 PM
But I need to mortise the door edge for the latch plate so I think I'd be needing to have the the barrel of the latch centered in the cross bore just right so I could scribe the outline of the latch plate on the door edge before I do the mortise. With the latch barrel (housing) loose in the hole which is too big for it, I'd have to be guessing/eyeballing whether I'm holding the latch centered just right while doing the marking/scribing.

Old 08-29-15, 05:44 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I'd have to be guessing/eyeballing whether I'm holding the latch centered just right while doing the marking/scribing.
That is why I suggested wrapping with a few layers of duct tape. You could do just one and use it for all the doors.

Old 08-29-15, 07:15 PM
Okay ray2047 I'll try the duct tape. If I can get it good and snug in the hole that way I suppose there's no reason that method shouldn't work. It's either that or I wait a month for those 1" latches to finally arrive. And I'd rather not wait.

Old 09-03-15, 01:27 PM
It turns out I can't use the latches with the smaller size latch housing (7/8") even if I wanted to with the doors I planned on installing the locksets into anyway, as I discovered the factory-bored backset on the doors is 2 3/4" and these latches with the 7/8" housing are made only for doors with a 2 3/8" backset. And, incidentally, the latches with the 1" housing (which I've now acquired) I notice the mortise plate is wider too. I did have success using the duct tape to enlarge the smaller latch housing to make it fit snug in the 1" cross bore but because that latch mortise plate is narrower than that of the latch(es) with the 1" housing it still couldn't be used as the proper mortise cut-out template anyway. At least I tried with only one door and not all of them so didn't waste that much time.

Old 09-03-15, 07:40 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Your local locksmith will probably trade you with no or very slight upcharge for the 2-3/4" BS latches. Smithys always have a number of loose latches like yours,
and though the design is fairly standardised across brands, it's still best to take the lock to ensure a good fit onto the lock body.

Old 09-03-15, 08:52 PM
I probably didn't describe the situation too clearly before but the place from where the 2-3/8" BS locksets (with the 7/8" latch housings) were purchased has already replaced those latches for me, with no extra charge, with the 2-3/4" BS (with the 1" latch housings). So I'm good to go, finally. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: