Need to prioritize here... help?

Old 05-25-15, 09:22 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to prioritize here... help?

This summer I need to get ready for next winter. Just moved here, and this place is way too cold. It needs a tune-up. Me and a buddy will be doing it.

The roof needs a lot of TLC.. it looks a little wavy/soft in general, the shingles are mossy, the eaves look terrible, etc., it just needs work. The wood doesn't look *too* bad when you're in the attic, but I expect it's going to be a job with several snags.

The exterior walls, and the windows are also an issue. Drafty. Going to put in new windows, insulate the walls, wrap the house, and put on new siding.

Not sure what order to do all this in. I'm thinking take care of the roof, then do windows, then insulate/do siding. Is there a 'protocol' for something like this? Any advice?

Old 05-25-15, 10:15 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Partly right depending on how the window are going to be done.
Roof first is right. If it's leaking anything below it is going to get distroyed.
New constrution windows or replacement windows.
What's the plans for adding insulation in the walls and attic?
Wiring up to code?

Old 05-25-15, 11:16 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
You are living in Hawaii, correct? Residential construction in Hawaii is vastly different than is used in the continental US, mostly because of the mild climate. You are going to find all sorts of things that will seem strange if you are the least bit familiar with construction. Also, insect damage is going to be high unless strong measures were taken in the original construction. Half way in and you might wonder if it would have been better to have torn the house down and started over.

(Note, I have never been to Hawaii and learned all of this from a series on This Old House.)

Old 05-26-15, 09:11 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
oops no i'm not in Hawaii, i think i just selected any ol state. I'm in MN where we get about 5 weeks of summer and then it's cold again.

Replacement windows. Taking out several 43x46's and putting in 48x48's for example.

Insulating the attic will involve the spray foam, but there's a bit of prep to do first. I can get to that maybe in the fall..

The walls........... haven't really researched it yet, but I was thinking something like house wrap, pink insulation boards, and then new siding (wood). All on top of the old siding (also wood). I'll also be re-insulating those same walls inside with probably R-19 once I'm doing the interior work.

Wiring is a little wonky, but it works. I intend to tidy it up as I go.

Thanks for the replies

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: