One year old new construction roof tiles blowing off

Old 03-28-17, 06:45 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One year old new construction roof tiles blowing off

My house is new construction and approaching its one year warranty anniversary mid April.

The house has its back to a cornfield where it gets pretty windy.. i think the highest this year way 65mph.. a couple times. These are 3 tab asphalt shingles not architectural ones.

I have had a few occurances after they have set on a hot day with some pieces of shingles blowing off here and there.

When these were installed, it was around Feburary of 2016, so they didn't correctly ser until April or May.. we had a few instances where they blew off badly from wind because they were flopping around before setting. They were corrected before move in.

So far the builder says the roof spot repairs fall under the one year warranty.. after that i am on my own per them, but clearly im fighting it.

When these were installed in winter, were they supposed to be manually sealed or glued in anyway to prevent what happened during cold months?

Below are a few pictures of the shingles blowing in the wind after first installed, and recently with a few missing shingles. Could these shingles be a side effect from improper installation? Or just not able to withstand the wind.. if the latter, well what to i do other than spot trear shingles blowing off every year?

https://imageshack.us/i/pnLP2rfZj

https://imageshack.us/i/pm2jfJIFj

Old 03-28-17, 07:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You can closely examine the roof for any shingles that aren't laying flat. The odds are the shingles that are laying flat have had the 'glue' strip melt and help hold the edges down. If any aren't laying flat - bring that to the builder's attention before the year warranty runs out. 65 mph is a lot of wind! I live on a mountain top and also see a lot of wind .... which is one reason I have a metal roof and not shingles.

Old 03-28-17, 07:48 AM
E
Thanks for the response mark. Looking at the picture, i do see alot not completely flat. Are they supposed to be completely flat? Or is there some tolerance? I am looking from the picture.. btw the basement has above ground windows in rear, so the roof is pribably 30ft or so up, it's hard for me to go walk around up there without peeing my pants.

Old 03-28-17, 07:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm a painter not a roofer so there is a lot I don't know about shingles but I always thought they were supposed to lay flat. Those that know more than me should be along later.

You could hire a roofer that has no connection to the builder to inspect your roof. His report [of issues are found] would give you pretty good ammunition if needed when you talk to the builder.

Old 03-28-17, 08:14 AM
E
Okay thanks mark. I will wait on others ti come

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: