Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drainage around barn

PA

08-08-17, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Drainage around barn

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'll start my post here anyway...
I have a very old barn, which sits on a stone/cement foundation. In front of the main door, the footer is crumbling and will need to be replaced soon. I don't yet have the resources for this, but in the spirit of solving some related problems, I was considering the most pressing issue this creates: The barn is at the top of an intermediate slope- there is a gentle slope above it, and a slight dip, then a sort-of level spot where the barn sits, then a fairly steep 45 degree drop down to the street. TO give an idea of how the water situation works here, at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the streets in the surrounding area have the word "swamp" in their names!
I've posted about fixing the footer previously, but before I do, I think the drainage issue should be fixed prior to that repair. The issue with the crumbling foundation is that there is an overhead door that closes against it... but because it is crumbling the door does not seal against it, so all the water accumulates.... in the rutted dirt floor of the barn. I'd like to start by helping the drainage. The barn sits sideways to the slope. Is fixing this sort of thing just a matter of getting the predrilled PVC drainage pipe and burying it down the hill? How deep do you bury this? or is there a better solution?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

08-08-17, 07:53 AM   #2 (permalink)  
I think re-grading do direct the water away from the barn would be best. That would take care of the surface water and a good portion of the underground water as well.

Search this Thread