Ladybirds - how to block off roof peak and soffits?

Old 09-04-17, 04:12 PM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ladybirds - how to block off roof peak and soffits?

Last year I blocked off as many holes in the siding as I could and made sure all window frames and doors were caulked off. Still, we have a huge ladybird problem.
I'm thinking they are coming in through the roof somehow. There are small gaps near the soffits and also the roof crown/peak. AFAIK, you cannot seal the peak since hot air has to escape there.
Any solutions as to how to close these off to bugs? A mesh or something?

Old 09-06-17, 01:51 PM
Q
Any thoughts on the siding or roof blocks for insects?

Old 09-06-17, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I would assume your roof already has foam closure in all the right places. There should be lower closure under the roofing at the bottom and upper closure between the roofing and ridge, along with end closure on the ridge cap.

It's probably not possible to close your aluminum soffit off to bugs if they did not screen off the vent openings. The place houses need to be sealed is electrical penetrations through top plate (in attic) and bottom plates, outlets in exterior walls, plumbing penetrations (in attic), etc, around windows (rough openings) and your sill plate-foundation.

Bugs will find their way in... the locations they could be entering are really too numerous to count.

Old 09-06-17, 05:05 PM
Q
The roof is maybe 40 years old. I don't think it has any foam or screening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: