Install floating floor over double glued floor

Old 03-22-17, 12:54 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Install floating floor over double glued floor

Is it possible to install a floating engineered wood floor over (what I believe to be) glued vinyl or laminate tiles that are themselves glued down over the original asbestos floor tiles?

Please refer to the picture. I'm pretty sure that the light colored tiles are installed over the original black asbestos tiles that are in every other room in the apartment. I'm worried that removing the top layer will disturb the asbestos tiles underneath and don't want to have to deal with that. But I'm unsure if I can just float the floor over what is essentially two glued down surfaces already?

Can I do this or will I have to remove the top layer of the flooring first?Name:  248102705.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  13.7 KB

Thanks

Old 03-22-17, 01:19 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Yes you can provided the current floor set up is withing deflection/level specs for the floor you are installing. Refer to floor prep in your flooring's installation instructions.

Old 03-22-17, 01:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If the flooring is solid and in generally good shape, you can install the engineered flooring on top of it. Bear in mind, however, you will have a definite higher floor. Have you a contingency to deal with transitions, etc? How about doorways? Don't forget the height at the dishwasher. Will you be able to get the dishwasher out should it need service? You will need an underlayment for the engineered flooring, so that will add a little to the height, too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: