Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Small repair on engineered hardward floor

CAL

08-11-17, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Small repair on engineered hardward floor

A small strip of the top veneer layer of an engineered hardwood floor (maple, I believe) in the kitchen has come off (see picture). Looking for ideas on how to repair. There are no leftover boards from when the floor was originally installed. Here's some ideas I've come up with:

1) Patch with some sort of wood patch (recommendations?). I have low confidence that this would even be marginally acceptable though, from an aesthetic viewpoint, but would love to be proven wrong.

2) Remove a board from under the fridge and use it to replace the bad boards.

3) Get some thin maple veneer and replace just the top maple veneer layer of the bad boards. Is this ever done, or even possible?

Unfortunately, this board, as you can see from the picture, is partially underneath the sink base cabinet, so its not going to be easy to get any kind of saw in there to cut it out.

Name:  040.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  19.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-12-17, 02:34 AM   #2 (permalink)  
#1 - bad idea!
#2 - best idea
#3 - might work

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

08-12-17, 02:59 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Have you addressed the water issue that caused the delamination? May be a bigger fix than just the surface issue.

Does the floor float or is it nailed down? Face nailed in that row or blind nailed?

CAL

08-13-17, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Don't know to all questions. The subfloor is a concrete slab, so its definitely not nailed down. So, either floated or glued.

Search this Thread