Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Need feedback from people who use Honyewll RTH8580WF - is this normal?

Old 11-22-13, 01:43 PM
S
SBI
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

So I have this unit installed for about a month now. Was looking for a wifi thermostat for quite some time and I wasn't going to pass a $100 rebate on a $149 price tag.
The unit is installed and seems to be working fine. That is - calls for heat when needed, etc.

My problem with the unit is the swing temp. Either it doesn't work properly, or, it doesn't display the correct room temp. Here's what's happening:
I know this unit is set to -/+ 1 degree swing temp, so if I set the heat to 66 degrees, the T'stat is suppose to call for heat when the room temp. drops to 65. Furnace kicks in, heats the house, and when the room temp. reaches 67 it should shut the furnace down.
What happens is that the furnace kicks in when the room temp. shows 66 (I can hear the click), it works for 10-15 minutes, or whatever it takes, then I hear the click that shuts it down, but the room temp. on the T'stat still shows 66.
It will change if the difference in temp. is large. For example - room temp. at night could be 58 degrees and it is setup for 64 when we wake up. So eventually it will climb from 58 to 64, but it doesn't show the -/+1 degree swing.
The furnace seems to be working fine, it doesn't look like it shuts down or kicks in prematurely. Also, I placed my old T'stat on top of the Honywell to compare room temp, and the old one coincides with what the room temp. should be. It just doesn't show it on the Honeywell.
I also have another unit in an adjacent room - room temp. on it was 66, the one in the Honeywell when it shut down was 63 (see both pictures).

I called Honeywell customer support, the guy told me that apparently it "doesn't display the temp. correctly" and that I should take it back to HD and replace it.
This is the 2nd unite BTW. The first one had an issue with the wifi radio.

Before I do that, I wanted to check with anyone who has this unit if they experience the same problem. I'd hate to take it off the wall and 'negotiate' with the HD people to replace it under warranty, as Honeywell suggested.

Thanks,

Attached Images   
Old 11-23-13, 12:12 PM
S
SBI
No one uses this thermostat?!

Old 11-23-13, 12:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
If you wait long enough someone that has used this stat may post a response.
I've had a Chronotherm 2, Chronotherm 4, Carrier tstatccpac01,VisionProTH8321 and Prestige stat but never a retail store model "R" series stat.

If you want help with proper sealing behind the stat, calibration, or a less aggressive control over the setpoint, I may be able to help you. If you want someone that owns this stat, I am not your guy.

Old 11-23-13, 03:57 PM
S
SBI
Thanks Houston. Not sure if it needs any calibration or seal, I am just curious if this is normal behavior for this T'stat.

Old 11-23-13, 07:05 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
Honeywell stats round towards the setpoint - it's normal.

As well, your model doesn't have a fixed 1F differential; it's programmed to cycle the furnace a certain number of times per hour (usually 3 or 5) and the actual swing varies a little depending on the heat loss of the house relative to heating capacity.

Old 11-23-13, 07:08 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
Old 11-24-13, 08:35 AM
S
SBI
Thanks Muggle, but I don't think this is the case. If you are referring to Smart Response Technology, then I disabled it in the thermostat because I don't want it.
Also, the link in your second response is from 2008, I don't think it can be related to a much newer technology, 2013 model.

In any event, even if it was true, why isn't the T'stat shows the actual room temp. as it is suppose to? Two different T'stats near by it shows 66, the Honeywell will stick to 64, as if it shows the set temp. instead of the room temp. But there is another spot in the device to show set temp., why would it show twice?! Doesn't make sense.

Old 11-26-13, 10:03 AM
S
SBI
Anyone has this T'stat and can add?

Old 11-26-13, 05:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Perfectly normal on any recent model Honeywell thermostat. Don't over think it. A thermostat is just a switch that turns your furnace or ac on or off.

The thermostat actually reads in tenths of a degree. It displays whole numbers though. It tries to maintain a 1 degree threshold. Therefore most all the time the indoor temp and setpoint will be the same on the display.

Old 11-28-13, 03:52 PM
S
SBI
Thank you hvactechfw. Weird, not sure why they would design them in such way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: