Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Moaning sound from plumbing after flushing toilet....

TX

10-27-14, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Moaning sound from plumbing after flushing toilet....

Hello all,

A while back our main drainage line was stopped up, so we had to have someone come out and snake the line from the outside. They fixed that problem but ever since, the plumbing has made some loud moaning sounds whenever the downstairs toilet is flushed. It can be heard from the upstairs bedrooms also. It's the loudest in the wall right behind the downstairs toilet and runs up the walls. It only lasts for a few seconds and then stops. I'm not sure where to start, so I'm hoping to get some advice here. Thanks in advance for your help!

Tags: toilet, plumbing, pipes, noise, sounds, moaning

Sponsored Links

WA

10-27-14, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Moaning is rarely a problem with the drainage or venting system but it is often a problem with the supply piping when the toilet refills.

Try this, take off the tank cover and while holding the float up (so the tank won't refill) flush the toilet. Does it still moan? Release the float and see if it moans while refilling.

Post back.

MI

10-28-14, 03:54 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Did the plumber arrive with a helper...but leave alone?

Sounds like the start of a good book...

;-)

TX

10-28-14, 06:19 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Thanks for your reply Furd. I took your advice and the sound is coming from the refill valve. I'll replace it here pretty soon. Thanks for your help!

WA

10-28-14, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Don't get too excited about changing the fill valve just yet. It could be a loose washer in the shut-off valve under the toilet or it could be just a piece of dirt in the "guts" of the fill valve itself. Many of the newer fill valves can be easily disassembled to flush out any dirt. A picture of what you have might help.

TX

10-31-14, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)  
I haven't been back on here since the last time I posted, so I didn't see your latest post until today. I did end up changing the fill valve and that was in fact the problem. No extra noises when flushing now. I had no problem updating the valve anyways...it was the old floating ball type.

Search this Thread