Gurgling Sink That Seems To Drain Well

Old 08-02-15, 05:39 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gurgling Sink That Seems To Drain Well

Hi everyone

Hoping someone can help me out with my issue...

My master bathroom has two sinks right next to each other, One of which makes a gurgling sound when I finish using it. I'm not quite sure what to make of it since it drains seemingly as well as the one next to it that doesn't make any sounds.

I've included a picture of the trap under the sink - it looks correct, I think?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 08-02-15, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Pictures need to be loaded to a hosting site or limited in size. I always reduce on pictures to 480 x 600

Has it always done this? I sounds like a poor vent which would be inside the wall.

Old 08-02-15, 06:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
sounds like a poor vent which would be inside the wall
I was thinking the same thing. The vents generally exit on the roof so that would be the 1st place I'd start.

Old 08-02-15, 08:05 AM
J
Has it always done this? I sounds like a poor vent which would be inside the wall.
No, this is a relatively recent development... the house is about 18 months old and this probably started less than a month ago.

I also realized that I forgot to attach the picture I took of the trap under the sink.

There's a single vent for the house on the roof and I haven't heard any similar sounds for other sinks or fixtures... wouldn't that indicate that it's more local than the main vent?

Name:  trap.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  21.7 KB

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 08-02-15 at 08:15 AM. Reason: fixed picture
Old 08-02-15, 08:14 AM
Group Moderator
Where does the 2nd sink drain? Is there another P trap going into the wall? Where do you hear the noise coming from?

Old 08-02-15, 08:52 AM
J
Where does the 2nd sink drain? Is there another P trap going into the wall? Where do you hear the noise coming from?
The 2nd sink has its own dedicated P-trap that goes into the wall and joins like this - the gurgling sink is on the right in this picture

The noise appears to be coming from just under the sink - I had my head near the P-trap and it seemed to be coming from above it

Name:  DSC01252.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  44.1 KB

Old 08-02-15, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
I have a sink that makes a lot of noise when draining and the sound comes from the overflow port on the sink. This is tied in to the drain and since it is part of the same drain it makes noise. You could fill up the sink, cover the port with your hand or a wet wash cloth, and then drain the water and see if that changes the sound. If it is, it might be just the way the sink was designed. Why it just started doing it, I am not sure.

Old 08-02-15, 11:33 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Mine does this from time to time. You most likely have some hair in the trap caught up on the pop up assembly. t is not enough to clog completely, but has a restricted flow. The water then gets ahead of the drains ability and just as it gets to the end, chugs a few times to clear. Remove the pop up assembly, clean and put it back together and see if it clears.

Old 08-02-15, 02:24 PM
J
By pop-up assembly, you're referring to the plug that moves up/down to allow you to fill the sink?

If so, I believe this is removed by unscrewing it, correct?

Old 08-02-15, 02:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Nope. In your first picture note the perforated strap? The rod that passes through it connects to the tailpiece with a nut. Release it, pull the rod out and pull up on the plunger. Be sure to put it back together in the same order.

Old 08-02-15, 09:42 PM
F
Drain that gurgle or make the sounds "glub, glub, glub" are not vented properly. The rough in plumbing was not installed per code. Or they may have been installed before the early 1960's. They should have what is called a re-vent that runs from the 1 1/2 line up over the main stack. The sound you are hearing is the drain looking for air so it pulls it from the overflow hole. If a sink does not have an overflow it will drain very slowly whereas it can not find air. The drain in the picture does not have very good grade. If this a new sound, it could be the drain has sediment and is partly plugged and at one time was self venting but no longer can. Start with auguring out the drain. If that doesn't stop the sound, that lack of a re-vent is the problem.

Old 08-03-15, 02:39 AM
J
Drain that gurgle or make the sounds "glub, glub, glub" are not vented properly. The rough in plumbing was not installed per code. Or they may have been installed before the early 1960's. They should have what is called a re-vent that runs from the 1 1/2 line up over the main stack. The sound you are hearing is the drain looking for air so it pulls it from the overflow hole. If a sink does not have an overflow it will drain very slowly whereas it can not find air. The drain in the picture does not have very good grade. If this a new sound, it could be the drain has sediment and is partly plugged and at one time was self venting but no longer can. Start with auguring out the drain. If that doesn't stop the sound, that lack of a re-vent is the problem.
Yeah, the sound is brand new... and the house was built in 2013

Also, the sink drains perfectly well, seemingly at the same rate as the sink nearby

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: