Replacing hot water shutoff for kitchen sink

Old 05-23-16, 07:54 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing hot water shutoff for kitchen sink

Hi, I'm in the process of replacing our dishwasher and the cutoff valve for the hot water under or sink, which feeds the sink and the dishwasher, is leaking. I'd like to replace it with a ball valve. I need help though in identifying the type of connection I'm dealing with... Can anyone help identify from the photos? By the way, I have the supply to the dishwasher capped for the time being....

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  18.9 KB
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2928
Size:  23.9 KB

Old 05-23-16, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What you have there is valve with a compression fitting. When removed it will look like the picture below.

This is not the OP's valve setup.
Name:  comp valve.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  7.0 KB

It would appear that there is enough copper pipe sticking out of the wall to cut off the brass collar and attach a new valve.

Now we need to find you a compression ball valve.

Old 05-23-16, 08:54 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
PJ is correct but before you get too quick with the tubing cutter your valve appears to be a BrassCraft (I may be wrong) and it is possible that a new one will connect to the existing ferrule/nut without leaking.

Your valve is a combination with a 1/2 inch nominal copper compression inlet and two 3/8 inch compression outlets, a not uncommon arrangement for a kitchen sink and dishwasher. While BrassCraft DOES make some dual-outlet 1/4 turn valves that would work for you they are special order (at least from Home Depot in my area) and pretty pricey. Here is one: BrassCraft 1/2 in. Nominal Compression Inlet x 3/8 in. O.D. Compression x 3/8 in. O.D. Compression Dual Outlet 1/4-Turn Ball Valve-KTCR1901X R1 - The Home Depot You might want to reconsider using the 1/4 turn valve or perhaps adding a tee to a single outlet valve.

There are a couple of other BrassCraft valves for a bit more money that you could use, these give two separate valves in one assembly. http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...VX-R/205214472

Or, http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...SX-R/205214471

If you can sweat-solder copper piping then adding a tee to the pipe from the wall and then two separate 1/4 turn single valves would be the most cost effective repair other than simply replacing with a multi-turn valve.

Old 05-23-16, 09:02 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Another way if you really want a ball valve would be a shark bite to FPT and a brass nipple and Tee with adapters for your supply lines. Example:
SharkBite 1/2 in. Brass Push-to-Connect x Female Pipe Thread Ball Valve-22182-0000LF - The Home Depot

Old 05-23-16, 09:12 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Great, thanks for all of the info guys. Appreciate it. So it looks like if I want to eliminate the ball valve as a requirement, especially given that I really need to get this taken care of quickly, this would be the way to go: BrassCraft 1/2 in. Nominal Compression Inlet x 3/8 in. O.D. Compression x 3/8 in. O.D. Compression Dual Outlet Multi-Turn Valve-CR1901LRX R1 - The Home Depot

As far as reusing the ferrule, assuming the old and new parts are both BrassCraft, how do I know if using the old ferrule and nut will work? Do I just try it and see if it tightens up and doesn't leak?

Thanks again

Old 05-23-16, 09:54 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do I just try it and see if it tightens up and doesn't leak?
Yes. .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: