Insulating tub

Old 01-20-17, 10:08 AM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Insulating tub

I should have thought of this before the plumber installed the tub, but unfortunately I didn't. I'm wondering what the best way to insulate this fiberglass tub would be (may be acrylic, not sure). I want to insulate it partially for warmth, but also to cut down on echo noises of the surround. The walls are still open, so I can get under it easy enough. However the back of it is installed against an exterior wall so I can't get to that as easy, but it looks easy enough to just unscrew the surround from the studs and remove the surround, we'll see. He didn't caulk any of the joints, so it might be removable at this point.

My question is underneath the tub. See pictures at the bottom of the post. Basically, it's set up on some plastic stands, I'm assuming because the plumber didn't want to take the time to remove enough cement around the drain to get it right down on the ground? Anyway, I can easily enough just stuff some batting in the sides of the tub but I guess I'm wondering about directly underneath. Could I use some minimal expansion foam to do in and around that frame stand down there? I don't want to cause any undue stress on the tub, or raise it at all, but I'd love to get some solid insulation under the whole thing. I was thinking a product like this CRC Minimal expansion foam, but also not sure of a way to get it all the way in the middle of the tub, do they sell a longer straw for the spray can? And do I need to worry about even that product doing some damage under there?

Edit: what about the window and door great stuff? Would that expand too much?

If for some reason the contractor cannot remove the surround without considerable effort, is there some sort of loose insulation that I can just drop down in there by hand? It would be kind of tough to get a whole batting stuffed down in there. Kind of like blown in insulation, but not precompressed or something?

Here are some pics (click for larger version):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76081[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76082[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76083[/ATTACH]

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Images    

Last edited by paqman; 01-20-17 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-20-17, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Use minimally expanding foam like the DAP in the blue can. Not sure if the Great Stuff is similar, never used it. You're probably going to use quite a few cans.

You can extend the nozzle by using clear plastic tubing that fits over the straw, or even taping a bunch of soda straws together. Gotta get it all done at once since if it hardens, it will be difficult to clean out a 3' extension.

Fiberglass won't do a lot for sound deadening. Rock wool might be better?

Old 01-20-17, 10:37 AM
P
Yeah good point about the sound deadening. I guess I'm not as worried about that, more about the warmth of the tub. Thanks, I'll look into the day stuff. 3 or 4 cans and some tubing should do it.

Old 01-20-17, 12:12 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Be careful if you use foam. Even the minimally expanding stuff can cause trouble if you fill the space too full and don't leave room for expansion. Plus, you shouldn't apply more than about two inches thick at a time or it can generate enough heat to damage itself. Fill the tub with water before trying to use the foam. That will help prevent the foam from moving or deforming the tub.

I would not foam around any of the plumbing connections.

You will need more than 3 or 4 cans.

Old 01-20-17, 12:16 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I would not use spray can foam. It has trouble curing when applied in large volumes and even its slight expansion pressure could cause trouble on the big flat sides of the tub. I would shove in fiberglass batts. You can use a broom handle to help shove/tuck them into position.

Old 01-20-17, 02:18 PM
P
Yeah I think I've decided to just do away with the spray foam and just stuff in some batt insulation and be done with it. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: