Delta kitchen faucet: spout removal

Old 05-25-17, 07:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Delta kitchen faucet: spout removal

I attempting to remove the set screw size 0.13 to remove the spout but the screw only comes out half ways. Looking for a tip on how to lossen it up without breaking or stripping it. Also what would be the correct set screw wrench size for the 0.13 screw. My current wrench has them marked for size as T25 T20 the 25 is too bit big and the 20 is a little too small but does turn it a little ways. My thought is maybe I don't have the exact wrench size needed? The wrench set I have is not lockable and is like a swiss army knife with many sizes so it each wrench spins on a bar and sometimes will move when using. The Delta web site has the screw for my tap as a RP152 Set Screw, size not mentioned but somes up on a few other sites as 0.13

Old 05-25-17, 07:48 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
The sizes you mentioned, T20 and T25, are torx, and I am quite sure that you want an allen or hex bit. You can buy a folding set with multiple sizes that fits in the palm of your hand at your local hardware or big box. I have had to use torx and hex interchangeably in a pinch a few times, but it doesn't work so well when something is tight.

Old 05-25-17, 12:18 PM
Sounds good will pick up the correct one, thanks.

Old 05-25-17, 01:49 PM
Just to confirm what aka said, Delta only uses hex key set screws, no other type of heads.

The installation tools include a hex key (allen wrench), faucet mounting wrench and an aerator wrench.

Old 05-25-17, 03:09 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Handyone is right in what he said about Delta only using hex head, but I often try to avoid using words or phrases like "uses only", "always", "never", etc. any more, because you never know. A previous owner could have done something off base for whatever reason. Case in point, I have all 4 wheels off one of my trailers hanging on a rack after I cleaned and painted them, waiting for the new tires to arrive. Last night I noticed something strange, so check the rest of them, and sure enough 3 have one size hole for the valve stem and one has a different size. Didn't notice it when I cut the old stems off, and both sizes readily available, so no problem. But I bought the trailer brand new, and have never replaced a wheel, so why aren't they all the same? Can't always assume. Anyway, as Handyone also mentioned, if you are replacing something on the faucet, the replacement most likely comes with a wrench. It's not as sturdy as a regular hex wrench, but will probably also have what you may want to remove and reinstall the socket that threads on over the ball.

Old 05-25-17, 04:46 PM
but I often try to avoid using words or phrases like "uses only", "always", "never", etc. any more, because you never know
I don't Maybe that's why I run into trouble sometimes....

Old 08-03-17, 06:33 AM
So here is an update, I determine the set screw was stripped and ending up putting some painters tape on the end of the allen key, managed to get it loose to take off the handle and complete the repair IE: o rings and new facuet arm. Took the handle to a local machine shop and they drilled it out without causing any damage to the handle. Got a set screw from my local Home Depot guy. Machine shopped only charged me $10. Good as new.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: