Gasket won't sit flat

Old 09-22-17, 10:34 AM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Gasket won't sit flat

Hi folks, I'm hoping this is an easy one for you...

I replaced the drain in my bathroom sink. The bottom of the sink (where the washer and jamb nut screw up and around the drain flange) is flat, but it has a bit of an angle to it. When I initially attach the new tail piece, it sits flat under the sink. I think the problem is when I then tighten the tail piece into the p-trap, it pulls on the tail piece making it not sit flush under the sink. Then I get a small leak.

Attached is a picture with the terms that I'm using, just in case people call them different terms. Also attached is a picture showing my actual gasket and jamb nut not sitting flat against the sink bottom.

Isn't there some kind of tail piece that it "bendable" or has an accordion piece to it that lets you form it to the p-trap?

Thanks!

Name:  faucet.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  19.6 KB

Attachment 85254

Attached Images  
Old 09-22-17, 05:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You probably don't have enough height to use a flexible extension.
If you have an 1-1/2" P-trap, you should be able to adjust the trap to accept the 1-1/4" tailpiece even though it's out of alignment.

Do this by tightening the pop up first. Attach the trap weir to the tailpiece (wall arm disconnected), and then slide the wall arm in or out until the trap upper nut aligns with the trap.

The tailpiece can be a little crooked if your trap is 1.5". This is because there's a washer at the top of the trap that's 1.5 OD and 1.25 ID.
That gives you a little room to play with.

If your trap and wall arm are glued, you might need to convert the glued to a slip tube trap.

Old 09-22-17, 11:12 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'll put a bit of plumber's putty on my thumb and wipe it onto the washer and/or the sink (where the washer will make contact).

Things aren't always flush plumb lever & square, so I let the PO land where it wants to, then adjust tubing as necessary below it.

Old 10-01-17, 09:36 AM
J
Arg, so frustrating. Went back to plumbing supply store to see if they had a flexible one, and he said don't bother with those. The tailpiece I had was plastic and he said those were crap, and my best bet was to use a metal one. Bought that instead. Came back and installed it. It still sits crooked under the sink, but there were no leaks this time Right where it hits under the sink. Instead it starts leaking from the middle of the stupid tailpiece! See picture attached below. I circled the drop of water where it's leaking. I wonder if I tightened it too much? Ugh! Plus the end of the p-trap was also leaking slowly from the end closest to the wall. I had even put plumbers grease on the threads like he said, but it still leaked. I think I'm just going I remove the whole sink and faucet and guts and throw it out the window.

Name:  IMG_6553.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  93.1 KB
​​​​​​​

Old 10-01-17, 11:07 AM
Buy a jar of PTFE paste, here's a link: RectorSeal T Plus 2 4 oz. Teflon Pipe-Thread Sealant-23631 - The Home Depot

Unscrew the 1.25" metal tailpiece and coat the male threads where the drip is. Dry all parts first.
Unscrew the trap, drop it, and coat the mating surfaces (ground surface) with paste, the threads do not need paste.
I can't see how the trap wall arm is connected to the wall, but if there is a washer, remove the arm and coat the inside of the washer with paste.

I'm a pro and pop ups leak, the paste is mandatory. You could also back down the nut and rubber basin washer and coat the metal male threads with paste and retighten. That will prevent any future leaks.

Old 10-02-17, 04:06 PM
J
Thanks for the reply.

You had said to "Unscrew the 1.25" metal tailpiece and coat the male threads where the drip is." Maybe I'm not following you correctly, but the drip is smack in the middle of the tailpiece where I've circled it in red. That spot isn't really two pieces screwed together from what I can tell. I thought it was one solid piece, which is why I'm confused as to how it is leaking.

Old 10-02-17, 06:51 PM
It's two pieces and I'm surprised it was already assembled. The lower tubular 1.25" tailpiece screws into the cast body above.
The threads are very fine, but still require sealing.

Old 10-06-17, 11:37 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Old 10-09-17, 05:56 AM
J
WOW that's crazy, I had no idea! I thought it was one piece lol. I haven't had a chance yet to fix it yet, but thanks for the info.

In the bottom right of the picture you asked "what's that". It's a sticker that says made in Mexico. That stupid p-trap also has a very small leak. I even put the grease on it like the plumbing store said, and still drops. Ugh.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: