Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

vehicle recall

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-20-17, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)  
vehicle recall

Friday my wife got a letter from Nissan saying her car has been recalled; check engine light might come on for no reason [not a big deal] and the rear doors can open when the window rolls down [potentially big deal] So I called and got an appointment for this morning. Each repair expected to take less than one hour. So 3 hrs later we go back to the dealer and they said it will be 45 more minutes, go out to eat and come back an hour later and they still need 45 minutes Came back 50 minutes later, waited 10 minutes and got her car.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Sponsored Links

CT

03-20-17, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)  
I know what you mean. When I take my wife's car in for maintenance I plan on it being at the dealer for the entire day. I won't return until just before COB.

Group Moderator

NC

03-20-17, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)  
I have been there. I had a recall on a car for a possibly faulty brake light switch. Everything on the car worked fine but I eventually took it in. They replaced the brake switch and driving home in traffic with the adaptive cruise control "on" it suddenly clicked off without warning and I almost rear ended the car in front of my. So, another trip back to the dealer. Ah, this switch is not compatible with the current software revision and... they don't have the correct switch. So, trip #3 to the dealer and over 8 hours wasted and they finally got the "simple" brake pedal sensor replaced and working.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-20-17, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)  
I owned a 1993 Ford F150 with dual tanks. Back tank constantly pumped into front tank causing spillage, so I checked and there was a recall. I took it to the dealer.........BUT, my VIN wasn't included in the recall. I turned the ignition on and flipped the tank switch to front, at which time fuel began emitting from the gas cap. I told them, they either needed to fix it under recall, or we could sit there until someone came by smoking a cigarette. Your serve..... I don't like dealerships.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-20-17, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)  
A couple of yrs after we got married my wife got a new merc. While under warranty the sun roof started leaking, then each door and finally the windshield. What got me was the door leaks. Supposedly there was a failed bead of caulking somewhere in the door. After the 2nd door leak, they still didn't repair the last 2 doors until they started leaking. 6 separate warranty claims/service times. After the warranty was gone one of the doors started leaking again so we traded.

Super Moderator

NJ

03-20-17, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)  
Friday my wife got a letter from Nissan saying her car has been recalled;
Recall or TSB?

What kind of car?

I just posted about my nissan troubles in another thread.

2010 Nissan Altima TSB brakes...Help

Mike NJ

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".

- Albert Einstein

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-21-17, 02:52 AM   #7 (permalink)  
It was a recall, 2016 Nissan Altima. She has a friend with the same car although it might be a 2015 which also had a recall, not sure it if was the same thing but she brought her car to the dealer for an oil change 8 days ago and they told her there was a recall and fixed hers at that time.

MI

03-21-17, 05:09 AM   #8 (permalink)  
Had a recall on my Ram 2500 a couple of years ago, can't remember exactly, but thinking it was to inspect and possibly replace a bracket that held the front steering stabilizer, or something along that line. Sounded like all they had to do was take a peek under the front bumper to see if it had the right bracket or not, so I stopped by the dealer my next trip into town. Nope, didn't have time then, needed to be scheduled for inspection, "figure at least an hour", and the soonest they could do that was something like three days later. And of course they didn't have the replacement brackets in stock, so, if it needed to be replaced, I would have to reschedule for that. Okay, so I made an appointment. I parked my truck, walked in to the service desk, and by the time I handed the recall notice to the write-up guy one of the service guys was standing there telling him that my truck was fine. I looked at him, and he said "it's fine, Mr. F., I overheard you talking to the service manager the other day, happened to see you drive in, so went and looked at it". "Yours has the right bracket, so nothing to replace". Well kudo's to that young man, and I made it a point of thanking him, but what in the heck was wrong with the service manager that he couldn't have taken that 30 seconds when I first went in?!?!? Coincidently, the ownership has since changed hands, and the first casualty was the service manager!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-21-17, 05:24 AM   #9 (permalink)  
My jeep has only been to the dealer for warranty and recall work. The last time was an air bag clock spring recall. I made the appointment weeks in advance but when I took it in they said all they can do is check it - if it needs replacement they'd have to order the part They originally said they needed the vin along with time to get the needed parts which is why I had to wait weeks for the appointment.

MI

03-21-17, 05:41 AM   #10 (permalink)  
Thank you for mentioning the airbag, Mark. Had one of mine replaced under a recall several years ago, then received a recall for the other one several months ago, called them about it a couple of times, but they were waiting on replacements. Probably time to call them again. Truck will soon be 10 years old, so can't help but wonder how much emphasis is being placed on replacement parts for vehicles getting up in years. Maybe they're hoping that some of them will end up in the scrap yard so they don't have to address the problem.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-28-17, 07:52 AM   #11 (permalink)  
Got a call from the Nissan dealer, said the parts for the door/window recall came in. I thought that was one of the two things they fixed. Looked at the paperwork and sure enough, it said they just inspected it. The gal at the service dept said everything was done when we picked her car up so I didn't bother to read the small print.

Good thing her rear doors didn't open going down the road on our recent road trip - we wouldn't ever get anyone to ride with us if they had

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-28-17, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)  
And today I get a notice from Chrysler stating I've never had my jeep in for the airbag clockspring recall. It took me weeks to get the appointment, they kept my jeep all day and then said it was ok, didn't need replacement that was 6 months ago.

NY

03-28-17, 02:13 PM   #13 (permalink)  
It's all brands. I'm still; waiting for Ford to tell me parts are in for possible doors opening while driving. But they said it's not dangerous???!!!

They told me the parts are had to get and the repair will take along time. They told not worry about it if I didn't notice any problems. Seriously?

Search this Thread