Subfloor preparation for Luxury Vinyl Plank

Old 08-27-16, 04:21 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Subfloor preparation for Luxury Vinyl Plank

Hi,

I'm or should i say 'was' about to embark on a 1000sq ft install of LVP on the 2nd floor of a coach home (so no moisture barrier req'd) Anyway pulled up the carpet and removed the tile, and much to my disappointment, the concrete subfloor seems in pretty bad condition.

As you can see from the pics, there's a few cracks here and there, but its also pretty rough in certain areas. It looks like they must of previously patched up some cement to slope down the ridge, from a stress crack.. Not sure. Anyway, that patch up they used is all starting to crumble away.

Really not sure what my options are ATM. Wanted to go with Vinyl Plank, because this home is for my mom's vacation home, and she's not there a few months out of the yr, and if the AC goes, at least LVP has the best chance of survival in hot and humid SW Florida. Plus, it was inexpensive (Costco $1.50 per sq ft) and doesn't require an underlayment. Actually the manufacturer recommends against it.. As it'll add stress to the click lock system. Supposed to lay it straight down on a smooth concrete surface... Smooth being the operative word !!!!

Bottom line, is i need to somehow repair this concrete so that i can start laying down this LVP... Really not sure what a pro would do in a situation like this?

I'll obviously need to remove the loose cracking patch cement, which i'll do. But laying an entire new layer of concrete and making it smooth? not sure i have the skills to do it.. I just don't know TBH. I've never tried and not sure how much technique is needed.. I'm more worried i'm just going to make matters worse, as i've never used a trowel before.

I'd be happy to pay someone, if i could find someone... Anyone i've left a message on hasn't returned my calls, so either they're not interested or its too small of a job for them.. Construction is booming over here in SW Florida, so getting anyone to get anything done, is a bit of a challenge ATM.

I'd be happy to give it a go myself, if i knew a little bit more about what i was doing. I've layed hardwood flooring before, and did a pretty good job, considering my wood subfloor needed leveling (by way of sander) and everything turned out well in that job. Anyway any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 08-27-16, 05:47 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Everything that is loose needs to go. It looks like they did not prime before floating and here was a poor bond between old and new. Hit it with a hammer and if it chips, remove. If a substantial amount stays solid, then just skim coat those areas. Refer to your LVT manufacturer instructions for how smooth the floor needs to be. If you want to self level the patches, prime first with an approved primer to promote adhesion.

Old 08-27-16, 06:40 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks, when you say skim coat, what product should i be using ? A self leveler that i can get from Home Depot or Lowes seems very expensive for what i'll be getting. $35 for 40lb bag which doesn't do a very large area.

is there a less expensive product can i use to skim coat those areas?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: