Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

room transition recommendations

OR

04-29-17, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)  
room transition recommendations

hello. my wife and I just bought our first home and have been making great progress on some renovations. We found out that some of the old linoleum was asbestos based, so we decided to contain it rather than rip it up. so, we now have some new flooring glued down, and it's quite nice.

now we have about a quarter of an inch of 4 layers of glued vinyl flooring that is offset from the hardwoods. we are looking to install some sort of transition strip, but the basic ones that you screw down have exposed screw heads, which my wife pointed out can catch on tights, or socks. The other common strips that I see available are for the opposite scenario, where some installed laminate flooring is now taller than the other room's flooring.

I'm just looking to see what people recommend for our situation. thanks!

Sponsored Links

MI

04-29-17, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)  
They do make many transitions that have a channel that is screwed down and the molding snaps in.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  32.2 KB

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-30-17, 04:16 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Understanding all you have is linoleum on one side and hardwoods on the other?? The total offset is 1/4"? You would need a transition similar to what Marq1 illustrated, but in an offset. I ran across one that is screwed down with that offset, but the screws sit in a countersink that would alleviate the problem of snagging things. TrafficMASTER 2 in. x 3 ft. Oak Carpet Trim-18573 - The Home Depot

Forum Topic Moderator

MO

05-01-17, 04:20 AM   #4 (permalink)  
track moldings are made with several different sizes of offset.

Flooring Installer since 1973

OR

05-03-17, 05:34 AM   #5 (permalink)  
thanks

that oak strip might be perfect.

thanks!

Search this Thread