Vinyl plank question

Old 05-20-17, 10:30 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vinyl plank question

We recently installed a luxury vinyl plank in the upper level of our home. Now in am painting the stairs.
My wife had the idea of using the extra/leftover vinyl on the risers of the steps
Looking for thoughts on whether that would be a good idea or not. I painted the risers so they will be the same dark color as the steps so if I do this and leave room for expansion it should not look to out of place.
Just not sure if its a viable idea or not

Old 05-20-17, 10:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you are painting the risers, won't the vinyl plank on the risers be redundant?

Old 05-20-17, 10:52 AM
W
My wife wants to 'tie' the stairs into the flooring on the top level. I think it sounds weird but ...
what can I do
I told her that if we do this I can't put the planks up there tight, that I may have to leave room for expansion and contraction so that's why I painted the risers so the plank would blend in better and would not be so noticeable.
I'm sure how much this vinal can expand or contract but when I installed it i was to leave 3/8" on the edge for expansion

Old 05-20-17, 11:01 AM
Vinyl won't "tie" into another plane (vertical versus horizontal). Verify one thing. I know you said you will be putting vinyl on the RISERS. Can you confirm that? Or are you talking about putting the vinyl on the TREADS. Big difference, and if the latter, it won't work.

Old 05-20-17, 11:13 AM
W
The vinyl will go on the risers, I never expected it to be understood that I would to tie into another plane (vertical to horizontal), I know that won't work, the planks would simply be vertical, on each riser.
'tie in' is merely a term my wife uses to transition the stairs to the upper level we just finished off. I guess it's an "HGTV" type of thing that's the best way I can describe it right now

Old 05-20-17, 11:34 AM
Hey, if it weren't for HGTV, we wouldn't have anything to do

As long as it is understood the vinyl won't change planes, you are OK. I would probably just butt the vinyl under the tread nose and glue it in place with something like Fuze-it adhesive.

I have a client who did something similar, just used scraps of the same flooring.

Name:  stairs.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  16.1 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: