Sealing grout, porcelain, glass mosaic tile?

Old 04-17-15, 06:41 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sealing grout, porcelain, glass mosaic tile?

I believe my grout in the shower and shower walls is unsanded. My question is what should I use to seal it to protect it? My local sealer carries Ceramic & Porcelain Tile Sealers - Tile Maintenance - The Tile Shop

Attached Images  
Old 04-18-15, 05:35 AM
X
Is their a special sealer for porcelain tile and shower grout?

Old 04-18-15, 10:18 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No, not really. There's a few types you shouldn't use, but there's many penetrating sealers.

I can not comment on their brand of sundries. My first inclination would be to get a known brand. I highly recommend Miracle Sealants or AquaMix. My favorite is 511 Impregnator by Miracle Sealants.Sealers : 511 Impregnator

Last time I looked the orange place had both brands.

Jaz

Old 04-21-15, 09:29 AM
X
The shower floor has alot of grout lines what is the best to just seal the grout. I read about spray bottle but that will get it all over the walls.

Old 04-21-15, 12:34 PM
J
The shower floor has alot of grout lines what is the best to just seal the grout.
Impossible. But why would you only want the sealer to touch the grout?

I read about spray bottle but that will get it all over the walls.
It won't if you cover the wall tiles temporarily, but why? Aren't you sealing the walls?

You read, read where? What did you read and who said it?

Jaz

Old 04-21-15, 01:09 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You read, read where? What did you read and who said it?
Jaz, xxnonamexx has a duplicate thread in the Kitchen Design forum. I was the one that suggested using a spray bottle to help with sealing that whole wall of mosaics.

I don't understand the fear of over spray on a wall that you are going to seal anyway as well.

Old 04-21-15, 01:17 PM
J
Z,

What you wrote is fine and I had contributed to that thread too.

He/she has the mistaken idea that the sealer is only for the grout and can not go on the tiles too.

As for spraying sealer........ I don't like to do that cuz the mist over spray will kill you. Well, maybe not kill you but...... The only sealer I've ever sprayed was the type that was made to be sprayed. It was kind foamy so no mist.

Jaz

Old 04-21-15, 02:00 PM
Jaz, thanks for the heads up on over spray. I only spray the mosaics as I don't have the time to detail all that grout. The sealer I use is actually bought in a spray bottle (squeeze trigger). But I have re-used that bottle with other sealer when I am running short.

Old 04-21-15, 03:26 PM
J
If it comes in a spray bottle it might be ok. However, do you remember that product from several years ago that sent many people to the ER? Some people died too. I think it was called Stand N Seal? Yea, that was it, I just found it.

Jaz

Old 04-21-15, 06:19 PM
Jaz - Used that product once. To seal the grout on the ceiling of a small alcove shower. Stood outside and sprayed up to hit the ceiling grout lines. Never heard that it was dangerous! I jumped into the shower after spraying and it stopped dripping and wiped it down. Little knowing that the emergency room was waiting.....

Old 04-21-15, 08:44 PM
J
That stuff was bad and the company got sued a bunch of times. The crazy thing was that after being aware of the dangers, the big box store continued to sell it for years.

Jaz

Stand and Seal Health Problems, a discussion at The Floor Pro Community

Type "stand n seal" and search, see what happens. Google or any other search engine

Old 04-26-15, 04:20 AM
X
My wife read about selers giving a haze to tile especially light tile is that true? Thanks

Old 04-26-15, 12:04 PM
J
No, but tell us more.

There's no way for us to advise with only that info. We'd need to know which sealer and what type of tile, how it was applied and what were the conditions when a haze appeared, etc.

There are many "types" of sealers made by dozens or hundreds of manufacturers for specific uses. For tiles I can think of penetrating sealers, enhancing sealers and topical sealers that may have a gloss. Solvent, silicone, water and acrylic base, even epoxy, probably more. Each manufacturer makes each type in several qualities.

The only thing I can think of is an acrylic sealer/finish applied too thick to a tiled floor over a damp slab or on a cool/damp day. Later the humidity tried to escape the acrylic wouldn't allow it. Which is why grout sealers do NOT seal moisture from entering or exiting the tile/grout.

Jaz

Old 05-04-15, 09:48 AM
X
I was hoping to use your recommendation 511 Impregnator by Miracle Sealants. Have you noticed any hazing?

Old 05-04-15, 03:57 PM
J
I can't think of any way a penetrating sealer like 511 can haze. As i mentioned above it's possible an acrylic sealer/finish could trap moisture and therefore haze cuz it's a topical product meant to add shine and surface build. Penetrating sealers are breathable, so no haze. The only way you could get a white film would be if you apply too heavily and don't wipe off after a few minutes as the directions tells you to do.

Jaz

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: