Wall paper over wallpaper

Old 11-26-15, 06:06 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Wall paper over wallpaper

I have a small Toyota motorhome I would like to redo the wallpaper. Most I read says not to wallpaper over wallpaper.

What is in the Toy is not quite wallpaper, it is more like a vinyl sheet bonded to plywood panels. Stripping this stuff off is not in the cards!

As I poke around on the net I see a product that is designed for vinyl over vinyl application. Roman Pro-555. But I do not understand is it an actual wallpaper glue that would be applied to the new paper? So I have to find paper without glue and not use prepasted??

http://romandecoratingproducts.com/f..._MSDS_TECH.pdf

Color me unsure. Jim

Old 11-27-15, 03:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't know a lot about wallpaper or motor homes but I've worked with/around a lot of paper hangers over the years. Assuming your wallpaper is similar to what they use in mobile homes it is part of the wall and shouldn't be stripped off! Every paper hanger I've worked around used a separate paste even if the paper was prepasted - they said that guaranteed that the paper would stay adhered.

Old 11-27-15, 03:44 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I've stripped enough wall paper to know that you can definitely do a paper over paper application. You will want to take care of any defects in the surface before hanging the new as any defect will show through the paper to the front side.

Old 11-27-15, 04:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Really the only downside of hanging paper over paper is the 2nd layer relies on the 1st layer of wallpaper's bond with the wall. If the existing paper was manufactured as part of the wall - it alleviates that concern.

IMO the more wallpaper you strip, the less you like wallpaper

Old 11-27-15, 04:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Or is it really wall paper? In a motor home I'd expect a wall panel pre finished with a paper like surface. Given this is a factory applied finish if it is still firmly attached it should hold well.

Old 11-27-15, 05:48 AM
The wall covering is not paper it appears to be a vinyl of some type.

In my younger days I stripped mountains of wallpaper, I would not even think about stripping this stuff! First it appears to be a plastic product so steam would not penetrate, then if you did get the steam to penetrate it would ruin the thin plywood (think luan)underneath. Then the adhesive appears to be a petroleum product.

Old 11-27-15, 06:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's probably a vinyl wallpaper like coating and not the tradition type wall paper. On mobile homes they use the vinyl paper in place of the face paper on the drywall. While it is possible to remove it, removal will cause damage and give very little benefit.

Old 11-27-15, 06:54 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The bonded finish in motor homes' printed walls is not really wallpaper and does NOT need to be removed. Its factory bond that the printed finish has with the wallboard to which it has been applied is not going to fail and you can install a new layer of wallcovering over it.
First, clean the current surface with TSP, a not-so-enviormentally-freindly but time-tested-and-effective pre-paint cleaner that will go a really good job of cleaning contaminates off the surface. Mix some liquid bleach into the TSP solution. Once cleaned, dry thoroughly.
Apply a pre-wallcovering primer/sealer like Romans 935 that actually dries with a very slight tac. I've hung wallcovering over mirrors after using this primer and it can be purchased in quarts which will be enough to do the whole job. It goes a long way. apply with a very thin nap roller cover. I would stay away from spray adhesives like 3m's 77.
Once the surface is ready, you can install your new wallcovering. I personally wouldn't use a pre-pasted wallcovering. I would find a solid vinyl (fabric-backed) or a "non-woven" rather than paper-backed-vinyl. I would used clay-based paste, applied to the back of the new wallcovering. You should have no problems with it, over time.

Old 11-27-15, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Papernpaste, I was with you right up till clay based paste, could you be a bit more specific and recommend a brand name?

I see Home Depot has Roman Pro 132, is that acceptable?? Jim

Old 11-28-15, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Paste/Adhesives - Sherwin-Williams
is one.
Roman Pro 732 Extra Strength Heavy Duty Clay-Based Wallpaper Adhesive 10001
is another
and I'm holding a gallon tub of All Pro (Brand) Extra Strength Vinyl Clay Adhesive in my hand. One of those three actually offer a Clay based that is "strippable" Voila!

Old 11-28-15, 05:49 PM
Tank you very much, greatly appreciated! Jim

Old 03-04-16, 05:08 PM
I am rolling right along on my wallpaper job and gaining new respect for wallpaper hangers, all this cutting around round windows and rounded wall/ceiling is challenging.

I bought the Romans 935 and could only buy a gallon locally for $30, a quart with shipping would have been about the same price.

Now I have a thought, OH OH. I am going to install some polystyrene insulation board with the aluminum foil face. This is to cover some useless windows in my RV. Can I wallpaper that using the Romans 935? I was going to cover it with cloth, but the wallpaper would be cheaper and might look better. Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: