How to blend paint on ceiling

Old 12-26-05, 11:50 AM
jade23
Visiting Guest
How to blend paint on ceiling

I have had to repaint some spot areas of the ceiling (all white) to cover up some marks. Now the painted areas stand out. How can I blend the paint to make the edges feather in together to blend into the rest of the ceiling??

Old 12-26-05, 12:02 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can't ---repaint the whole ceiling.

One option might be to cut out a piece of ceiling paint you want to match and have some ceiling paint color matched to it. Probably won't look OK though. It may be a good choice anyway though. If you have to repain------the whole ceiling it would help if the color was close enough that you wouldn't have to do a perfect job where the ceiling meets the wall,which is a pain unless you are repainting the walls.

You could also use blue tape on the walls,but make sure it is down good and don't apply too much paint at this edge

Old 12-26-05, 02:23 PM
jade23
Visiting Guest
thanks for the advice...

Just to explain further what I did in case it makes a difference: the ceiling was redone and painted white. When I went to install the chandelier, I had put up a medallion on the ceiling to border the chandelier. I had made some pencil markings around the outside of the medallion and spot painted it. That is the paint spots that I can see that I want to blend in to the rest of the ceiling.

Is there anything I can do to avoid having to repaint the whole ceiling?

Old 12-26-05, 02:33 PM
J
I would try to clean them with a Q-tip dipped into some cleaner[not too wet,maybe Soilax pro---no rinse cleaner] or similar. Try to just clean the places you need to especially if the ceiling hasn't been painted in a long time, it gets dirty and cleaning one spot will show up.It may eventually go away or get just as dirty

Maybe an eraser is worth a try.See if someone else has an idea before you repaint.

Last edited by joneq; 12-26-05 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-26-05, 03:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If you are using the same paint as what is on the ceiling it should touch up. You might try feathering the paint out - dry brush/roll away from the fresh paint.

If it has been awhile since the ceiling was painted, the ceiling might not be the same color it once was. Oil heat or smoking are just two things that will change the ceiling color over time.

Old 12-31-05, 11:04 PM
F
I agree that this is very difficult to do, unless you JUST painted the ceiling. I've tried a few times with the same paint from the same can even.... and you can always see it.

As an experiment I painted a few areas that got knicked up during a recessed light install...you could see the new paint. So I left it like that for a few months. You can still see it but it did 'blend in' a little. But when the light strikes it right, you can definately tell.

Weird.

Old 01-01-06, 02:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Slick finish ceilings are the hardest to touch up. Depending on the situation, touch up may need to be a quick dab over the affected area or may require painting a sizable area to get it to blend. Unfortunately it takes a lot of experience to understand the best way to touch up any given area.

For most the best advice is to touch up the best you can and when it is not acceptable repaint as needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: