Crack in ceiling?

Old 07-09-12, 01:40 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Crack in ceiling?

Hi there, I had a home inspection done today on a home (built in 1947) but neither my hubby nor I know virtually anything about what to look for in homes. We were told to be sure that the foundation was in good condition so I looked up how we would do that- by checking for cracks especially around door's and window's corners or along the siding outside, making sure doors open and close squarely, making sure there isn't any bowing of the walls inside and out and all of that checked out except we and the inspector noticed what appeared to have been a crack starting along the top of the wall going across the ceiling but it looks like it had been repaired (you could tell their was some kind of tape over it) and it had been painted over. The inspector said it probably wasn't a big deal and since I didn't notice any of the other signs I assume he is right.. But I thought I would check here for some opinions. I don't want to buy a house that's going to collapse! haha thanks in advance!

Old 07-09-12, 02:30 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If the house has been standing for 55 years, it's not likely to fall down tomorrow. Can you tell if the repair was recent? Does the paint look fresh?

As to your inspector - did you hire him or does he work for a realtor?

Old 07-09-12, 02:43 PM
O
The paint is fresh so I don't know when it was repaired. The home was in foreclosure and had lots of problems when it was bought in October and is being flipped. The lady who bought it works for a construction company so hopefully she knew what she was doing for the repairs, I have all of her builders permits,etc. but none of them mention the ceiling.

And no he doesn't work for a realtor

Old 07-09-12, 02:46 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
It's a risk but seems to be a small one.

Old 07-09-12, 03:34 PM
O
Ok, thanks for your help! Any ideas what would cause a crack like that? It goes from the wall perpendicular to the wall directly to the middle of the ceiling. This wall is very close to the center of the house.

Old 07-09-12, 04:30 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Any ideas what would cause a crack like that? It goes from the wall perpendicular to the wall directly to the middle of the ceiling.
Sagging, shifting... A lot can happen in 55 years. What is directly above the crack?

Old 07-09-12, 09:45 PM
O
A bonus type room/bedroom with angled walls. My aunt (who doesn't have any professional knowledge of home construction) said since its a straight line, it's probably not a big deal and just a poor tape job. But she didint explain why there would need to be tape in the first place.. Hmm!

Old 07-10-12, 04:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I would think a house of the age would have plaster walls/ceilings unless it was gutted/remodeled. Drywall tape is often used to hide cracks. If it was just a bad drywall finishing job I'd expect you'd see evidence of other poorly finished joints.

Is the finished attic original to the house or was it converted to living space later?

Old 07-10-12, 05:26 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
I have an old house (1930's) and being my second old place, I can say that cracks are to be expected. Most places (at least my two) where constructed with plaster, and have seen renovations over the years.

That being said, if it's a straight line, it's probably a past reno that shifted over time.

Old 07-10-12, 03:10 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
A bonus type room/bedroom with angled walls.
Thanks. The reason I asked yoou
What is directly above the crack?
is that I'm wondering whether there's a wall framed there, or anything else that might exert a downward force along this line.

I regret that I wasn't clearer about that.

Old 07-10-12, 07:48 PM
G
Do the permits mention the bonus room/bedroom being added/converted from an attic? Many times the roof framing (and floor framing) is only built strong enough for an attic space. Someone will convert it to rooms (living space) without strengthening the floor first. Then they add knee walls tight to the roof framing which carries the roof load/flexing directly to the existing attic floor joists. They are sometimes maxed out for their size/span and cracks will surface in the ceiling below. Not saying this is your case, but to verify, find someone who can check the ceiling sag from inside the room below the crack with a laser level to note the differences. The laser is set at equal distance down from the ceiling on both ends of the room span to be checked, not set level....

The stairs going up usually show original or recent.
Did the home inspector mention this checking or at least sight the ceiling from on his ladder? Many times the outside roof will show sagging also, right over the crack area.

Gary

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: