Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Does this look like a load-bearing structure?

Old 12-19-14, 03:53 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

Hello everyone,

I was curious, does this look like it could be a load-bearing structure? This is in our kitchen. Old 1920's row home in Philadelphia.

I looked and our neighbor's house does not have this in their kitchen and she said they never had a small breakfast nook. Just curious as I want to take it down to maximize space.

Thanks.

Name:  Stove wall1.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  37.5 KB

Old 12-19-14, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
You're asking about the arch with the spindles ?
That doesn't look like it's load bearing.... especially if the wall to the right is an outside wall.

I see what looks like a beam over the left side opening of the picture by the door... what is that ?
Not over the door.... across the top of the picture.

Old 12-19-14, 04:09 PM
S
Correct, outside walls on each side.

The beam looks like it was something the previous owners had to hold something like pots/pans or maybe they had a light strip or something on it.

The beam is not continuous. In fact, it only goes from the outer wall to about 4.5 feet to the center, then the arches take over for the breakfast nook.

Thanks.

Old 12-19-14, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
With both walls being outside walls it would be highly unlikely that that is a load bearing wall.
The only thing that might change this is if that nook is a bump out and was added at a later time after the house was built.

Old 12-20-14, 05:32 AM
S
The only thing that might change this is if that nook is a bump out and was added at a later time after the house was built.
Definitely not a bump out. It was added to the original kitchen.

Thanks.

Old 12-26-14, 11:18 AM
S
Well, I was wrong about the beam going across the entire span of the kitchen as it was, but you all were correct, it was not a load bearing wall.

It looks like they nailed a 2x3 to the joist and just went the entire width of the joist to connect the 4x4 to that created the wall separation for the breakfast nook and stove. The adjacent vertical 2x3 is not under the joist span 2x3, so it's confirmed.

I confidently cut through the 4x4. I'm about 50-60% done the demo and cleanup, then I can begin the fun work of putting everything back together and hanging the new cabinets.

A lot of work!

Thanks.

Name:  kitchen wall frame.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  28.1 KB

Old 12-26-14, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Looks like a sewer line hanging out there in the wall.

Old 12-27-14, 04:05 AM
S
Looks like a sewer line hanging out there in the wall.
I wish, it would be much more simple of a fix.

Those are two hot water radiator pipes that I am in the works to relocate a few inches back.

I have a long thread in the plumbing/piping section with my random thoughts on how to fix it.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: