Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Best way to patch in drywall where door was removed- and wall added

Old 01-25-15, 07:57 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,
I have a 6 foot x 6 foot section - where a French door was removed and studded wall added. I need to fill in with new drywall, etc. There is an existing 10 inches of old drywall that was above where the old door header was located. Should I begin my patch by leaving the old in 10 inch strip place - or would it be better to remove that and have the seam/connection where the wall meets the ceiling? Wanting to make sure the joint is the least noticeable. Of course, if I removed the existing 10" then I am dealing with a joint in the corner - and would also have to paint the ceiling to cover up the joint compound.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mark

Old 01-25-15, 08:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Being a amateur myself I would leave piece there. Take a straight edge to the end left. Not necessary but i find it easier to patch. Be sure any loose flaky stuff is gone. Marksr should be in soon and he may have a better idea.

Old 01-25-15, 11:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As noted above, clean up the cuts on the old drywall if needed. Then just install the drywall and finish. It's easier to leave the existing drywall above the door opening. That way you don't have to fool with the ceiling texture/paint. Don't forget the insulation and vapor barrier if this is an exterior wall.

Old 01-27-15, 02:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Was the header left in place to attach the new studs to?
That would be standard practice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: