Help with exposing brick wall..

Old 09-15-17, 08:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with exposing brick wall..

hi I am very new to this and new to this site. I live in a two-story home that is over 100 years old. We have a wall in our kitchen that is Plaster covered by some paneling but behind all of this is original brick. You can see that moisture has come into the wall where it has bubbled and there has been no more moisture damage in over the last 4 years after my father-in-law covered some vents on the exterior of the home. We have decided to move into this place a couple years ago and slowly fix some of the issues. I would like to tear down this wall because of the original brick I would love to expose it. Any advice that could be given would be greatly appreciated. I know this is a messy job and I have been reading a lot of the do-it-yourself post but I would like to hear some professional advice on how I should begin this process. Thank you in advance

Old 09-15-17, 10:39 AM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
it bothers me that a moisture situation was improved by covering vents.
If the plaster is gypsum plaster which I think it is. It should come off easily. I use q flat blade on my air chisel and cut the air down so it Dow not hit too hard and too quickly. A wide mason chisel and a not too heavy hammer will do the job just more slowly. Start n a place that is easy to fix the plaster for you might find the brick are not as hard or as lovely as you hope.

Old 09-15-17, 10:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Removing the paneling and plaster is pretty straight forward. After removing the paneling a rotary hammer set to hammer only mode with a flat chisel bit can make the work go much faster. If you are going to be doing much I would tent off the area with sheet plastic or at least block the doors to the room to contain the dust to that one room.

Old 09-15-17, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That sounds like the brick wall of a chimney. I'd be prepared to have to do brick repair work too. You may find the grout to be in poor condition.

Old 09-15-17, 06:00 PM
Yes Pete...I'm ready for it...I know this is going to be a messy job... The wall is very old plaster and I know the grout is old to... The brick wall is actually the exterior wall that they just plastered over to create the interior...

Old 09-15-17, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by tightcoat
it bothers me that a moisture situation was improved by covering vents.
If the plaster is gypsum plaster which I think it is. It should come off easily. I use q flat blade on my air chisel and cut the air down so it Dow not hit too hard and too quickly. A wide mason chisel and a not too heavy hammer will do the job just more slowly. Start n a place that is easy to fix the plaster for you might find the brick are not as hard or as lovely as you hope.
Tightcoat...thank you for the advice and tomorrow when its light out ill try and post some pics... So once the brick is exposed I'm sure I'm gonna need to tuck point and repair the wall....what do you suggest to clean and seal the wall with once done.. I'm sorry for my ignorance I'm really learning on my own and researching where I can..

Old 09-15-17, 06:10 PM
Thank you Dane.. I know this is gonna be messy and closing the door off is asomething I didnt think of...I'm prepared to move items and cover everything...as I mention in other reply...in very new ajd ignorant...teacjung myself and I want to make sure I do this all correct... If I'm going to get messy then I'm going to do it right..any suggestions on cleaning amd sealing the brick .. I will try to post some pictures..honestly every wall should be torn down and redone...but in not ready for that yet...but I would like to learn how to put up sheet rock or dry wall... Is either one of those vetter them the other..thanks in advance

Old 09-15-17, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Sheetrock and drywall is basically the same thing. Since the brick is on the inside it shouldn't need to be sealed unless it needed to be protected from something like cooking grease if you were to put a stove there.

Post pictures when open so we can see what you have there..... oh.... and get help when you do the work. Offer lunch or dinner. That'll get them.

Old 09-17-17, 09:06 AM
Thanks Pete ... I've got so much I want to do with this bonding its crazy ridiculous..ill be sure to post pics...ill try to remember to post before pics to show you the damage I'm talking about...its funny you said stove because my stove is in this wall...

Old 09-17-17, 09:09 AM
Oh and out outcome curiosity...the outside brick...I'm assuming should be sealed..correct? ftomorrow what I understand this buildinghas not been maintained in over20 years or longer so if I would need to seal the outside brick from elements what could I or should I use

Old 09-17-17, 05:31 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
I think you should concentrate your sealing efforts on the outside. The brick might even need tuckpointed. I always thought the pointing was easy compared to chipping and or grinding out the joints. It is slow but not complicated. Someone more versed in mortar can tell you the mix and the procedure is probably on youtube somewhere, though I have never looked. The fact that moisture has damaged the plaster should make its removal easier. A brick wall is not a single brick thick. The interior brick are probably softer and weaker and not as finished as the exterior. It was always intended to be plastered. Once all thi interior work is completed some kind of acrylic sealer is probably in order. There are also penetrating sealers. I don't know much about them. A sealer will not harden the brick but it will make it tougher and less likely to dust off when it is bumped or rubbed.

brick wall

Old 09-29-17, 01:37 AM

ok so I am trying to load a picture... I also found my moisture source. The roof parapet wall....smh...we have terra cotta tiles that are broken the brick under is terrible. That's another subject. Ok so I started with a small area..have brick exposed but there are small holes in some of them and they all had what looked like twigs...yes tree twigs...also under window is what looks like cement... Its under the greenish looking area... At one time someone tried to repair this which I was unaware of. I also see spot where there is spray insulation. So my plan is to clean brick and keep it exposed ..to the left id like to put up a pallet wall... Should I replaster that wall? I would love to make a cement counter top just not sure what type of cement to use . any help on how to execute this would be greatly appreciated. Back to watching you tube videos to make sure I go about this right.... Thanks in advance

Attached Images     

Last edited by PJmax; 09-29-17 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added enhanced pics
Old 09-29-17, 01:47 AM
Thank you and yes I found my moisture issue... Will be working on that this week. I have loaded a picture and a reply asking about the holes I see in the brick... This small space needs to be repaired for sure...and the wall to left I want to male a pallet wall. I am teying to create a farmhouse look.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: