Minimal Hot Water Upstairs, No Issues Downstairs

Old 01-22-11, 10:38 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Minimal Hot Water Upstairs, No Issues Downstairs

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a two story condo and since my Wife and I have moved in, we've had issues with the hot water heater. The water heater is on the first floor (on a concrete slab). So the issue we've been having is specifically when taking a shower upstairs, we run out of hot water approximately 3 minutes in (water will then turn lukewarm). I have the thermostat all the way up on the heater, and if you run the bathroom faucet, which is literally right next to the water heater, the water is scolding hot. I even performed the test of having my wife take a hot shower, then immediately run the downstairs faucet for a few minutes. The result was consistent hot water, so I don't think the tank is running out of hot water.

I really appreciate the help everyone. We're a very young couple and our finances are a little tight because of the new house so we really can't afford to hire a plumber for repair. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a possible solution for us.

Thanks!!
Kevin

Model # Kenmore 153.316253 (40 gal)
Purchased on 12/5/00.
I do have some notes from the previous homeowner that says "both upper and lower thermostats replaced by Sears on 2/10/01 due to cold temperature in tub. Cold temp continued after replacement."

Old 01-22-11, 11:35 AM
It sounds like the problem is the mixing valve in the shower. The cheapest thing to try would be buying a new valve. Any plumbers know if the valve can be adjusted rather than being swapped out?

Old 01-22-11, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
What kind of shower valve? Single handle? Kohler, Moen,? Is it a thermostatic valve where you turn the water on and adjust the temp with another control? Is there a tub at this shower? Does the same happen for the tub??

How old is the HWH? Should be coded in the serial #. What is the make and model of HWH? Turning the HWH all the way up is not the answer. You could be seriously injured.

We can help. We just need more info.

Mike NJ

Old 01-22-11, 08:25 PM
B
you deffinetly have cross over which is a mixing valve problem......need a plumber

Old 01-23-11, 03:38 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
You could have no more than a scald guard adjustment problem on the shower faucet or a mixing valve problem, but like lawrosa said, more information is necessary. What about the vanity faucet upstairs, any problems there?

Old 01-24-11, 05:50 AM
K
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the answers. Let me add a few things I shouldn't have left out. The sink in the same bathroom upstairs doesn't get any hot water (maybe if I were to run it for a couple minutes it would, but that's another issue because the drain is so backed up I can't!).

The model # of the HWH is Kenmore 153.316253 (40 gal). I have from my notes it was purchased on 12/5/00. I'm not sure the average life expectancy on HWH's, but I do believe it is working OK because downstairs we don't have any issues at all. The shower handle is a single handle valve. We just turn it all the way to the hottest settings.

Let me know if you guys need any more information or want me to run any additional tests. As I mentioned earlier we do have draining issues upstairs, I doubt this is related but it might be worth mentioning. The upstairs vanity is backed up pretty bad, as soon as the pipe goes into the wall it has to be clogged because you can only run the water for 10 seconds or so before it rises into sink. Going to buy a snake to try to remove clog. Shower isn't as bad, but it does back up a little bit after a shower.

Thanks!
Kevin

Old 01-24-11, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
You need to test the elements and t stats on the electric HWH. You should not have only one t stat all the way up also. Do you have a miltimeter? Do you know how to use it? There is high voltage at the elements so caution if you chose to test yourself. You can be seriously injured.

Mike NJ

Old 01-24-11, 01:34 PM
K
Originally Posted by lawrosa
You need to test the elements and t stats on the electric HWH. You should not have only one t stat all the way up also. Do you have a miltimeter? Do you know how to use it? There is high voltage at the elements so caution if you chose to test yourself. You can be seriously injured.

Mike NJ
Hi Mike,

I don't have any experience using a multimeter and can't say I'm familiar enough to use one. I may have some friends that can help me there. I think I read in another thread that in some HWH's they have an upper and lower element. The upper element is mainly considered for 'emergency supply' and the lower element provides the majority of the hot water. Would it make sense that the lower element is bad and every time I take a shower, it's just coming from the upper element, hence the 3 minutes of hot water?

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 01-24-11, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
It would make sense but you state scalding hot water in another post. First thing is to check your HWH to verify its working or not. Check elements and t stats. If all is working, then do a bucket test at a tub. Turn on hot water and fill a 5 gallong bucket and dump. Fill and dump....ect... You should get 6 -7 buckets of hot water. If the water is only hot with 2 or 3 buckets and then gets cooler then I would suspect the dip tube broke. The water heater is 11 years old and is past its life expectancy.

Again this is high voltage
How To Troubleshoot An Electric Water Heater | DoItYourself.com

Mike NJ

Old 01-24-11, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
One thing just to clarify...only the one shower in the house?

Old 01-24-11, 06:36 PM
K
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
One thing just to clarify...only the one shower in the house?
Yes, you are correct. This is the only shower in the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: