A.O. Smith GVR 50 ProMax, Igniter - no spark

Old 10-19-14, 06:12 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A.O. Smith GVR 50 ProMax, Igniter - no spark

AO Smith hot water heater GVR 50 ProMax.

I have two units, (lets call them the left and right units), gas valve went out on the left unit. To repair I had to turn off the right unit. Drain both, I replaced the gas valve on the one unit (the left unit). All went well, started the left unit and it works as it should. The other unit(right) was working fine before the shutdown. I went to light the pilot and I saw a spark once, but now no spark at all. I removed the assembly and cleaned everything and reinstalled. No spark at all. Numerous attempts over two days time...no spark. Could it be gas valve? or the pilot assembly? how do I know which?any help would be appreciated. Thank you

P.S. I've had these units for three years. I've now had to replace the gas valves on both units. The first one was after just one year. I am very disappointed in AO Smith products. My plumber tried to talk me out of these and to go with a Rheem. But I said no based on prior experience. Oh how wrong I was. ...all I can say is.. do not buy an AO Smith. Unfortunately if your reading this you probably already have.

Old 10-20-14, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
P.S. I've had these units for three years. I've now had to replace the gas valves on both units. The first one was after just one year. I am very disappointed in AO Smith products.
Seems just the pizo igniter may be bad..

Regardless they are under warranty unless they are in a commercial environment.

There is nothing wrong with the AO smith brand. Please tell us where these are installed...

Old 10-20-14, 09:08 AM
P
Thanks, both are installed in the attic. side by side.

Old 10-20-14, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I've now had to replace the gas valves on both units. The first one was after just one year. I am very disappointed in AO Smith products.
Not that I dont believe you but I find it hard to believe that gas valves went bad. Those gas valves rarely if every go bad.

Could it have been the thermal couple maybe?

Did you call AO smith and get an authorization # to have them repaired under warranty? You should only be paying labor..

AO smith is the top manufacturer of water heaters. Its all I will use myself, and install for my customers.

Old 10-20-14, 01:20 PM
P
Yes, GVR 50, installed less that 3 years ago. One gas valve went out 12 months and 3 days. The second one went out 2 yrs 10 months. I replaced both. Now the pilot assembly is being replaced. Yes all parts under warranty but really should not be happening at all...makes me wonder if this will continue after the warranty period??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: