Air sputters out of hot water faucets

Old 02-05-16, 01:18 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air sputters out of hot water faucets

We had a new electric hot water tank installed several months ago and ever since we continue to have spitting and sputtering at only the hot water faucets when we first turn them on ... I have tried opening all the faucets several times thinking that air is trapped but it doesn't seem to help..We are on a well with an old pressure tank and switch ....and a newer water softening system but again ....it doesn't happen at the cold water faucets .. I turned the power off to the hot water tank , ran the water which was cold by then and the sputtering stopped ...so it must be related to the new hot water heater....not sure how to proceed Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.... Do I need an expansion tank?....Thank you in advance

Old 02-05-16, 01:35 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
This is mostly a guess on my part but I have read of it happening. You may have high levels of hydrogen dissolved in your well water and the act of heating the water could be causing the hydrogen to come out of solution, collecting at the top of the tank.

OR, it may be some minerals in the water containing hydrogen that is released by the action of heating the water AND it reacting with the sacrificial anode (usually aluminum) that is installed in the tank to reduce internal corrosion. High concentrations of iron plus some types of bacteria can also cause the problem. Several article via a Google search using the term hydrogen in hot water heater may be of some informative value.

gmom2311 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: