Scale Buster??

Old 12-13-05, 07:37 AM
g_funk3
Visiting Guest
Scale Buster??

Anyone heard of these? I saw them on HGTV a while back, and I am wondering if they work? I have a little bit of hard water, and some scale buildup in the shower and faucets. I want to eliminate the minerals that cause the deposit, but I really dont want a softener. Are there any other options other than a traditional softener?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-16-05, 06:14 AM
g_funk3
Visiting Guest
Does no one know, or just no one care?

Old 12-16-05, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Everyone here cares but you didn't even quote a show on the HGTV network.

There are no magic bullets when it comes to removing minerals from water.
The claims that advertisers make should cause some to be sent to jail!

If you don't want a water softener then simple maintenance with a descaler of some kind might be what you need.
If you remove the aerators and shower nozzles and soak them the descaler they will come out like new.
Use a lime remover in a spray bottle for areas you cannot reach.

Old 12-18-05, 12:58 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Scale Buster

The house I just bought came with it installed. I'm going to run without for a few months to see if it makes a difference.

Old 12-18-05, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
The name Scale Buster doesn't mean anything to me and without a detailed description of what you have we really can't help.

Here is a search for "scale buster".
See if what you have is listed or check on the unit itself for a maker's name.

Let us know which one is yours.

Old 12-18-05, 05:52 PM
M
Scale

Here's the link to the one that's hooked into my home.

http://www.scaleblaster.com/

Old 12-18-05, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Ok, I see.

What you have is just snake oil and will not really do anything for you.
I don't have any links handy but if you search further you will find some reviews for that type of device that show they do not do what they claim.

If you have hard water, the accepted way of removing minerals is with an ion exchange softener which uses salt to regenerate the media.
The first thing you would need to do before purchasing anything is to have your water analyzed.

Old 12-20-05, 08:01 AM
Z
Can I analize the water myself?What do I need and where would I go to do this?

Old 12-21-05, 03:23 PM
A
A couple of things first, if you don't mind.

What is you concerns about not wanting a softener?
How hard is you water? Have you had your water tested?
Are you serious about finding a solution?

Please don't be offened by that last question. There are a lot of tire kickers out there that want a solution but not willing to make a resolution and come to terms with what it takes to reach their objectives.

If you don't want a softner due to cost, then you are out of luck in handling scale build-up without a constant (READ: expensive and inconvenient) filter replacement.

A whole house nanofiltration (membrane) system will soften your water to a respectable level without salt...but..they are not cheap. They require some periodical maintenance but can manage with reasonable levels of hardness.

Please let us know where your limits are, your frame of mind, your essential needs and understand that sacrifice may be needed for improvement.

Andy

Old 12-21-05, 03:33 PM
A
I might add,

There are polyphosphates that can combat scale. It is a chemical treatment where the pellets are placed in an in-line filter and dissolve over a period of time and will need to be replenished.

Phosphates are what companies like P&G add to their soaps and detergents to suspend hardness minerals so their soaps lather even in poor water conditions. The phosphates put a "tephlon-like" finish on pipes and fixtures to fight scale build up. They do not break down I nature and remain as they were prouced until some place hot freezes over.

Personally, I don't like them but they are cheap.
Andy

Old 12-30-05, 06:44 AM
O
links

I also have wondered about these things. xxxxxxx is a company local to me who claims this works. They have been doing it for years are have become quite successful. 'Salt' softener companies say this is a scam and has no scientific base, but they just say they don't care why it works it does. I've been skeptical, but there are a lot of anecdotal success stories, as well as long lasting businesses.
Do it Yourself! best reading, more links: xxxxx

Moderator edit:

We try to moderate these forums to allow fair and unbiased discussion but in this case will limit this discussion by removing links that promote the sale of belief based products.
There is an awfull lot of information on the internet about the idea of removing minerals with magnetism with the majority being from companies selling these products.
I would suggest anyone interested should seek out info from gov't or other official testing sites.

Last edited by GregH; 12-30-05 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Remove links.
Old 12-30-05, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Further to magnetic descaling here is a rather long report from the US Army about it in PDF format:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: