Culligan Medalist phone icon E1

Old 02-09-13, 06:11 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Culligan Medalist phone icon E1

Hi
I have a Culligan Medalist Mark 10 7" purchased March 2003. It has always worked OK until recently when the phone icon appeared. I tried to call Culligan here in the UK but they no longer exist and had very little help from their local rep. So I set about fault finding. I put it into 'Manual Cycling' and discovered that the machine works OK until it gets to the Fast Rinse/Brine Draw cycle after approx. 30 seconds the 'E1 phone icon' appears and the unit stops in this cycle slowly filling with water. If I then reset the unit by disconnecting the power supply for 1 minute and switching back on, the CAM turns and stops at the Home position. I tested the CAM switches and found one to be faulty so have replaced both with new switches and I am still getting the same problem!
I have checked the Cam and it is stopping at the correct places so the motor seems to be working fine.
The control board doesn't seem to be too sophisticated and seems to rely on the CAM switches only.
Can anyone help?
I have read on this forum that the seal pack maybe faulty but there are no leaks when the CAM is in the home position. The seal pack maybe tight but the CAM is achieving it's correct position and the switches are working. Does anyone know if there is a sensor on the motor which tells the control board that there is too much drag on the motor?
I have tried contacting Culligan in the USA but can only get numbers of their agents in the USA who, understandably, have not been too helpful.
Could anyone tell me if this unit is still supported by Culligan in the USA and are seal packs still available?
Thanks for your help
[/SIZE]

Old 02-09-13, 01:31 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Drop an private massage as I do have a manual on culligan circuit boards and yours of 03 would be in it. The book goes to 02 but I don't think that there should be a difference between the two years.
Right now I am reading through the trouble shooting part to come up with an answer as to what is going on.

As an update,
This is what the book has to say on E1
Motor Always Turning Error code "E1" occurs when the circuit board detects changes in the motor
program switch when the motor is not supposed to be turning. The phone icon and "E1" will be lit in the display.

Old 02-10-13, 12:25 AM
S
Thanks for your reply I will send a private message. If the document has the PCB layout for the control board that would be great.
FYI the Cam switch seems to do it's job and the motor stops at the correct position.

Old 02-10-13, 12:56 AM
One of the things that I have found with the culligan switches and white cam on top is that if they are not just right and tight then there might be a little rocking back and forth.. it wishes to stop and it does for a 1/2second and then starts again but back then repeats..

The joys of you 9 hours ahead..

Old 02-10-13, 12:42 PM
S
Thanks for the document it has a little more detail than I had. I am now wondering if there may be an open circuit on one of the connectors to the cam switch. I need to do some more investigation.

Old 02-10-13, 12:45 PM
S
Thanks I will check the cam switches for tightness.

Old 02-10-13, 12:51 PM
Mirco switches are for the most part either good or bad.. if you put new ones on then I would not be thinking that they are the problem, but rather the line up of the switches on the white cam or there is a ware spot on that cam that is doing a false signal.

Old 06-02-13, 02:44 PM
S
I thought I would update this post as I managed to sort the problem out.
Although I initially found a faulty CAM switch and replaced it the 'E1 phone icon' continued to
appear causing the softener to stop in mid cycle.
I discovered the circuitry is a little more sophisticated than I originally thought. Although the CAM was lining up OK the processor was sensing a stain on the motor (high current). This then trips the 'E1 phone icon'.
When I dismantled the softener I found both 'The seal pack assembly' and 'Educator Piston Assembly' were coated in silicon grease which over time had become very sticky. This was causing drag on the motor. I washed both assemblies with Oxygen bleach (the basis for most washing powders) and wiped some fresh silicon grease on the o rings and re assembled.
The softener has now been working perfectly for the past few months :-)
Thanks Akpsdvan for your help.

Old 06-02-13, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the update, that is some thing that does not always happen.

It is good that you found the problem and told us here so that if some one else finds theirs doing the same that there is an answer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: