Adhesive for Bonding Aluminum??

Old 07-26-15, 08:08 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Adhesive for Bonding Aluminum??

I have some 1/8" alum sheet and want to bond 2 pieces together to form 1/4" sheet. Are there any adhesives that would work?

Old 07-26-15, 08:28 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
It somewhat depends upon how well it needs to hold together and if any solvents, oil, or heat are involved. For a very simple application I have used double sided tape (I think it was a thin white carpet tape) and it held extremely well. The aluminum would bend before they would come apart.

Lately I have been using a silicone "adhesive" and it has performed well. I'm not sure what the difference is between a silicone adhesive and 100% silicone caulk, that is why I bought it to try. It seems to be very sticky for whatever reason.

Others will respond and i'm sure there are many adhesives that would work.

Bud

Old 07-26-15, 09:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
There is a ProSeal and MC-236 Flamemaster which have moderate adhesive strength but are highly resistant to solvents and liquid fuels. For incredible bonding strength there is T-88 from System Three and is used to bond aluminum aircraft skins to the structure underneath.

Old 07-26-15, 10:25 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Thanks

I'll look up on the internet and hope these are not more expensive than buying 1/4" stock.

Old 07-26-15, 10:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Mike, you may want to look into Lexel adhesive/sealant. Just don't get any on anything you love, including your fingers. It sticks to most anything, even underwater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: