Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

metal coat hanger

IN

01-30-17, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)  
metal coat hanger

I'm looking to form metal coat hangers to make a "decorative" centerpiece for my wedding. My thought it to keep a round design. For example wrapping the coat hanger around a 4" pvc pipe to smooth it out. Would heating the coat hanger make it more pliable? any suggestions besides my 4" pvc pipe idea?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-30-17, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Heat always makes metal more pliable but a hot coat hanger may melt PVC.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MI

01-30-17, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)  
As Mark said, heat will soften them, but metal coat hangers are still pretty stiff, so I agree that enough heat to soften them as much as you want is going to probably burn into the PVC. And, since you're asking, I'm assuming that you may not have anything to safely throw enough heat at them. You might stop by a local welding supply, and ask to look at brazing rod, which I think might be easier to shape.

MI

01-30-17, 03:20 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Another thought is to visit your local hardware or big box, go to the electrical section, and look for ground rod cable. It's bare, no insulation to slice off, and much easier to bend into shape.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-30-17, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Or use a piece of 4" steel pipe. Won't melt, for sure.

Group Moderator

NC

01-30-17, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)  
Why start with a coat hanger that already has sharp bends in it? Just buy wire steel or copper. As mentioned copper is available in most home centers electrical departments and steel wire (piano wire) is available in many hobby/craft stores and everything is available on the Internet. Starting with "clean" material will be much easier to work with and you don't have to go through the annealing process.

Search this Thread