Cutting Stainless Steel

Old 03-28-15, 06:38 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Cutting Stainless Steel

I have a piece of 1/16" X 30" X 24" stainless steel sheet that I would like to cut in half. What tool is recommended? I need a clean smooth cut. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-28-15, 06:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've used the fiber type steel cutting blades on stainless - they wear out quick but will do the job.

Old 03-28-15, 01:09 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Best would be to take it to a steel fabrication shop or weld show. Call around and ask if they have a sheet metal sheer. If they do have your sheet already marked where you want it cut and stop in for a visit with cash in your pocket. If you're nice there's a good chance they'll do it for free since you've got it marked and it's a quick easy cut. Worst case it might cost $5 or $10 or a six pack. They'll put it on the sheer and step on the pedal. Sshunk and it's cut nice and straight in less than 5 seconds. There will be a slight burr on the bottom side but a file will quickly remove it.

If you want to do it yourself boy are you in for some fun. What tools do you have available? Stainless is more difficult to cut than regular steel but it can be done. An abrasive cutting disk can be used but it is slow, noisy and sprays sparks everywhere and burns away some of your material depending on the width of the blade. I find it easier to saw. The key with stainless is a sharp, high quality blade intended for cutting stainless. Keep the blade speed slow and keep the cutting area cooled & lubricated and if you don't have the ability to cool & lubricate the cut then run the blade even slower to avoid overheating the blade. If you overheat the blade it's toast and will need to be replaced. If using a reciprocating saw you'll likely need several blades to make a 24-30" cut. You'll need more if the blades are not the correct type or if you run the saw too fast. With stainless it's better to push harder and move the tool slower.

Old 03-28-15, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I second the sheer...so damn fast and easy, I'd wait til Monday and make a few calls. Worth a 20 min drive and a tenner just to avoid the hassle.

Welding and fab shops as well as any other business that deals in sheet metal of any sort.

Old 03-28-15, 01:49 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
The tool is called a shear. Just like a pair of scissors is sometimes called a pair of shears.
What is it with so many people lately having problems with spelling such simple words?

Old 03-28-15, 03:03 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Too beers into a Saturday afternoon and the're goes my ability two spell. Thanks for keeping me honest.

Old 03-28-15, 03:07 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Gotta keeep the speling police busi I supose!

Old 03-28-15, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
We only do it to keep Furds brain active.

Hey, once a person spells it one way, our minds tend to go with it unless a spell check pops up. I'm much better when I'm composing an email or similar without a reference.

Old 03-29-15, 03:54 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Thanks, it looks like a sheet metal shear is the way to go. We have plenty of metal fabricating and welding shops around here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: