Losing water pressure

Old 09-08-14, 07:44 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Losing water pressure

I am losing water pressure some point past the second filter in the picture. The well tank is pre-pressurized at 28 PSI and appears to be flowing correctly up to the second filter. I took the second filter assembly off and it appears to be flowing correctly up until that point. I shut off the water going to/from the conditioner and also turned the shutoff valve going to the water heater off and tested the cold water pressure coming out of the faucet 10 feet away. It comes out fine for a brief moment, slows to a trickle and then stops altogether. The pressure in the well tank drops somewhat once I turn the water on but doesn't drop below 40 PSI. Any suggestions on what could be restricting my water flow?

Attached Images  
Old 09-08-14, 08:34 AM
S
Begin working backwards through the system by disconnecting or bypassing until you get normal flow. If you were working right to left the culprit will be somewhere to the right of the fixture where you discovered full flow.

When closing the water supply to or outlet from the water heater to do any testing I recommend turning the power off to the heater whether it be gas or electric.

Old 09-09-14, 02:57 AM
F
Hello,

I will piggy back on this thread so another one needs not to be started.

I have a Goulds JRS10 supplying my house from a 40ft, three-head well. I have it set 35/65 psi. The problem is that once the pump reaches 65psi and cuts off, the pressure slowly drops to 60psi where it remains. I have isolated the house (so only the pressure tank and pump are on line) and the results are the same. No visible leaks anywhere: I also have a water meter and it is not moving. Pex piping throughout the house.
Could the water be going back into the well?

Regards

Old 09-09-14, 05:30 AM
A
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
>>> the pressure slowly drops to 60psi where it remains

Do you have a check valve in the line from the pump?

The pump itself might be holding 60 psi but above 60 psi, yes, water is seeping backwards through the pump back into the well.

Old 09-09-14, 03:37 PM
F
The pump itself might be holding 60 psi but above 60 psi, yes, water is seeping backwards through the pump back into the well.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ne...#ixzz3CrQ9WaKz
Is this a normal feature of this pump? It would seem to be a defect. Thanks for your reply

Old 09-10-14, 09:17 AM
V
The last filter assembly itself was clogged up. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-10-14, 10:02 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
The "filter" is doing its job !

Old 09-11-14, 09:45 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
Hi frank –

I’m just a newbie (in learning mode) and Allan is probably correct, and maybe this jibes with what Allan is saying anyway, but I noticed in the manual for the pump (link below) it looks like somewhere around 60 psi is a limit at 25 feet.

Would that explain things?

Goulds Water Technology Jet Shallow Well Pump 1 HP 1 Phase # JRS10

Old 09-12-14, 03:55 AM
F
but I noticed in the manual for the pump (link below) it looks like somewhere around 60 psi is a limit at 25 feet.

Would that explain things?

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/we...#ixzz3D66ysQ6G
Many thanks!!! Good point. I will lower the pressure to 60 psi, and will talk to the installer, who did the work while I was out of the country, to ascertain the depth of the well, I know there are three wells feeding the pump, but they may not be 40-foot deep as I thought.

thanks again

Old 09-12-14, 10:17 AM
Z
Sure thing frank. If you ever get some time to post it would be good to hear what the installer thinks – helps the newbie’s to understand all this stuff. lol Good luck!

Old 09-14-14, 11:22 AM
F
it would be good to hear what the installer thinks – helps the newbie’s to understand all this stuff. lol Good luck!

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/we...#ixzz3DJcJojRo
We spoke over the phone, the system was put in 2008. He believes the check valve (brass) may be going bad. As soon as I get a chance, I will replace it. As for know, it settles at about 58psi - dropping from the 63psi (approx.) cut out pressure.

Old 09-15-14, 09:24 AM
Z
Well I know those aren’t very expensive and Allan also mentioned the check valve. If it’s near the tee at the pressure tank it shouldn’t be too hard to replace. Hope that does the trick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: