Need a coating over white paint that won't yellow/ amber!

Old 10-09-13, 06:54 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need a coating over white paint that won't yellow/ amber!

I've searched and searched and can't figure out what coating will work best! I recently painted an antique wooden high chair with flat latex paint. I want to put a few coats of *something* over it to make it easy to clean and give it some durability. I finally picked up some polycrylic, but it yellowed the heck out of my test board. I would prefer something easy to work with and with a quick drying time. Thank you!

Old 10-09-13, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Why in the world would you choose a flat paint and then put a gloss over it? Purchase a high gloss enamel trim paint and forget the clear coat!

Old 10-09-13, 11:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I agree!! A waterborne enamel [dries quicker than latex] in whatever sheen you prefer would be my first choice. Latex enamels aren't as durable as the waterborne but there is a big difference between the cheap latex enamels and their quality counterpart. Oil base enamels will yellow.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 10-09-13, 02:35 PM
L
I don't want a high gloss, just a durable, wipe-able surface, particularly on the tray where food/ messes/ sticky fingers are going to be all the time. I have already painted the darn thing since I had read that polycrylic would work, but it isn't. My only option then is to try and find my color in an enamel and start over? Nothing out there that won't amber latex paint?

Old 10-09-13, 02:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I rarely use polycrylic and assumed that it wouldn't amber over paint since it doesn't when used over wood/stain. Enamels come in various sheens. The 3 main sheens are satin/eggshell, semi-gloss and gloss. Normally any paint color that comes in flat can also be gotten in enamel paint too. I would strongly suggest getting the same color paint but in a latex or waterborne enamel. All you need to do is sand lightly, remove the dust and apply 1-2 coats of enamel.

Old 10-09-13, 02:50 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The word enamel has nothing to do with the sheen or oil base.
It's just a tougher paint.
Only time I would ever use flat paint is on a ceiling.
You posted on several different web sites and all have given you the same reply's.
Make a point next time to ask before doing and save some steps. And no I do not mean at the box store. Only questions I ask there are strictly for my own entertainment.

Old 10-10-13, 06:50 AM
L
Actually, I did research beforehand-not at the box store, which is why I thought polycrylic would work and yes, I did post on numerous sites simultaneously, since I was looking for information and it seemed silly to limit my resources. You are also correct that I have received similar answers. Very helpful response, BTW. Really.

Old 10-10-13, 06:56 AM
L
Thank you. I will give this a try.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: