When we first saw our Chicago condo my wife looked at me and said "no way. the kitchen is terrible". I saw potential and talked her into letting me take a go at my first major DIY project. Demo took 2 weeks as the only time I had to work on the project was nights and one weekend day. We first removed the appliances and witnessed our first horror. The previous owner (or someone) had wired the dishwasher, disposal, hood and had cut the plug end of the whip off the over and wired them together, wrapping the whole mess with duct tape. Nice. Furthermore, prior to us moving in water had leaked from both the dishwasher and refrigerator onto the wood floor warping the boards badly. I removed all the cabinets and counter tops. Rewired the entire kitchen and installed 4" can lights. Next I removed the base cabinets and then took a circular saw to the wood floor cutting three angles from corner wall to corner wall. With the damaged flooring removed down to the cement sub-floor I built a frame for the new island and anchored it. The floor is now lined with 12x24" tiles. I reinstalled the old cabinet frames and leveled them. The island now built with Ikea cabinets we were ready for the counter tops. We contracted out to a local installer and got a pretty good deal. With the granite installed (the single island piece weighed in at 940 lbs) the kitchen really started to look put together. To help support and finish off the sides of the island I secured butcher block counter tops on either end. The old cabinet frames were filled, sanded and painted. The doors are retro fitted Ikea doors and the pulls are from eBay. The back splash is composed of glass tiles. The sink and faucet are Kohler. Lastly the stainless toe kicks finish it all off nicely. A lot of detailed and custom work went into this project. Can't wait to do it again.