CT

01-30-07, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)  
If you have attic access I would say the difficulty is a 2 on a scale of 1-10. Maybe a little more difficult if you have to pull power from some place that isn't as easily accessible.
Make a lighting plan and ensure that you have an adequately sized circuit available to provide power. You'll need at least 750W available. A 15 amp lighting circuit (1440W) is adequate if there aren't a lot of other loads.
You'll also need to consider the location of the ceiling joists when marking your layout. I tape a template to the ceiling to make sure I have the lights where I want them and make sure no joist will interfere.
With an accessible attic, new construction, IC rated cans are probably the best choice. Although there have been posts questioning the efficiency of "airtight" cans, they're probably a good choice.

I installed 7 recessed cans in my attic in a day working alone. I probably spent much less than $500.

If you have little electrical experience, consider getting a DIY home wiring book to get an understanding of the basics.