Protection One Alarm Code

Old 11-11-08, 08:11 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Protection One Alarm Code

I have recently purchased a home and from a divorced couple and the lady selling does not remember the alarm code. It is a Protection One system (not sure where to look for specific model number etc.) I contacted Protection One and they would not give me the code or how to reset it. They said the only way I could get the code is to sign a contract with them. Is it possible to reset the code somehow? I also am needing to replace the battery because it is causing the system to beep randomly...is there any trick to that also. Thanks for the help or advice...I appreciate it.

rinzo voted this post useful.
Old 11-12-08, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Protection 1 is a dealer, not a system builder. The alarm was customized with their logo. To help you, we need to know the actual make and model.

Open the door to the cabinet where the main motherboard and battery is. 99% of the time there will be a diagram on the inside of the door with the correct info.

(you just change the battery, there's no voodoo)

Old 11-13-08, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Protection One has used the following panels in the residential market

In order from the early years to present time:

Moose Z900
Vista 10SE
DSC 5010V2 (breifly)
Vista 250P1 (vista 10p)
Vista 300P1 (vista 15p)
GE Concord 4 (select Markets)
Vista 320P1 (vista 20P)

Keep in mind, Protection One has had many aquisitions and has converted many existing systems. Post the model and I can try to help youl.

Old 11-19-08, 08:37 AM
S
Smile

I have a Protection One 250P1 system. I also have the manual for it. The diagram on the inside of the can's door is for a Vista 20se system. The diagram in the manual is for the 250P1. There is a slight difference in the diagrams.

The 20se diagram shows that it comes ready for 8 hard wired zones. The 250P1 diagram (and manual) show that it comes ready for 6 hard wired zones.

The 20se diagram shows the ability to have two partitions. The 250P1 diagram (and manual) appear to not support more than one partition.

The 250P1 manual states that the system is expandable up to 14 hard wired and/or 26 wireless zones, up to a total max of 26 wired and wireless zones.

Old 11-19-08, 11:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Count your zone inputs. If there are 6, then you have a Vista 10P/250pi

If there are 8 you have the Vista 20 model.

I suspect that they may have installed the newer (and smaller) system into an older, existing system can.

Old 11-22-08, 07:11 AM
S
Alarm Type

Okay....it says on the box ADEMCO 250P1 and by looking at the diagram it shows 6 zones. I appreciate everyones help....hopefully there is a way to reset it so I can program a new PIN code into the system. I called Protection ONe again and of course they will only reset with a contract.

Thanks.

Old 11-22-08, 08:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
From the FAQ

Retrieving Installer code
Nearly all Ademco family (this includes First Alert, Security Link, and several ADT models) panels can retrieve the Installer code by disconnecting the battery, then the AC power. Wait a minute, then reconnect power in the opposite order. Within 50 seconds, on any keypad press * + # at the same time. Unless the system has had an installer lockout feature activated, the panel should go into program mode. The details by system will vary, but the programming section number that shows on the display will be the location for the installer code (on _most_ panels this will be 20). Key in # and the location number, and the panel will read back the installer code one digit at a time. Exit program mode using *99.

The location will be 20. Just in case, unplug the phone line first (this is also the panic key combo, and if you blow the timing, often monitoring centers will still dispatch to the address of record for panics)

Once you have the installer code.

Back in run mode, not program mode:

Installer code + [8] + 02 + new code to set the new master code.

Old 11-25-08, 06:18 AM
S
Thanks

I did it this morning and worked perfect. You are the man!! Thank you very much......not only did you get the alarm fixed, but more importantly you got my wife off my back. That's worth it in itself.

Old 02-16-09, 07:05 PM
oops

i have just 2 questions
1st, i have the vista10se and i tried to retrieve the installer codes, but am having problems. I disconected the power and reinstalled, pressed * and # and then #20. the keypad then showed 04 then 01 and beeped a total of 4 times . Is 0401 my installer code?

2nd, should every button on the keypad make a beep noise when i push it, cuz only certain buttons on mine make noise, could my keypad be bad? I only ask because somehow i have armed the system and when i put in 0401 and hit off, it wont shut the armed light off and the alarm goes off 30 sec later, so i now have to leave my alarm disconnected or it will go off. Please help if u can, for i cannot get this thing to work. When entering the installer code, do i just enter it? or do i hit # first or after, Im lost

Old 02-16-09, 07:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If the only numbers you saw was 04 and 01, then the installer code being displayed was 4111 (ignore the leading zeros).

In any case, if you arm the system with any other method, the installer code will _not_ disarm it.

Old 02-16-09, 07:35 PM
wow

thank u for ur help, so I apparantly armed the system when i pushed #2. Do yo know how to disarm this situation or have i screwed this up pretty good? lol, thanks again

Old 02-16-09, 07:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Do the * + # thing again. It will come out of programming disarmed.

Old 02-17-09, 05:41 AM
hmm

Hey MrRon, thx again for the help, I was wondering how will i know if the alarm has an installer lock out code activated, because my keypad doesn't let me punch in the master code after i reinstall the power, and i still cannot disarm the system, am i just overlooking something?

Old 02-17-09, 05:35 PM
ok

i seemed to have got the system disarmed, but my keypad still wont let me input the installer code or doesn't respond to any #s i input,, how do i know if my keypad is bad.

Old 02-17-09, 06:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If installer lockout was set, # + * wouldn't work.

How are you exiting installer programming. You should be entering *99.

What keystrokes are you trying to use to set the master code? Again, the installer code isn't what you use for normal arm/disarm.

Have you checked your keypad address? For a vista 10se it should be 31.

Old 02-18-09, 05:39 AM
hmmm

after i restore power and hit * & # the display shows 04 01 01 01, then i hit *99 to exit, but when i try to enter 4111 to access my program modes, it does nothing. What im really trying to do is just get the door chimes back on, but cannot because i cant enter 4111 then hold the chime button. It looks to me that the 4111 has to be entered to access any program options, correct? Im not sure what u mean when u say what keystrokes im using, is this the 4111?, and when i try to access the address for the keypad nothing happens, I do appreciate ur help, as u have been most helpful, im just not that savy with electronic stuff, thx again. Hopefully it's just something im doin wrong, and not the equipment,,,thx ron!!

Old 02-18-09, 09:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you have the installer manual?

You say that you have a Vista 10se. The command to go to program mode for a Vista 10se is [installer code] + 8 + 0.

The keystrokes to program a new master code:

Starting in normal run mode, NOT program mode.

[installer code] + 8 + 2 + [new master code]
(this must be one smooth set of keystrokes, if you hesitate more than a second or two between keystrokes the system will exit code programming).

All of this stuff is either in the user manual, or in the installer manual, both of which you should have before attempting this.

Old 02-19-09, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Flip Flap
after i restore power and hit * & # the display shows 04 01 01 01, then i hit *99 to exit, but when i try to enter 4111 to access my program modes, it does nothing. What im really trying to do is just get the door chimes back on, but cannot because i cant enter 4111 then hold the chime button. It looks to me that the 4111 has to be entered to access any program options, correct? Im not sure what u mean when u say what keystrokes im using, is this the 4111?, and when i try to access the address for the keypad nothing happens, I do appreciate ur help, as u have been most helpful, im just not that savy with electronic stuff, thx again. Hopefully it's just something im doin wrong, and not the equipment,,,thx ron!!
if i may butt in
1st try this 41111 did the key pad beep if yes

then try 41119 did the key pad beep and chime will turn on

Old 02-20-09, 05:35 AM
?

I tried the 41111, but the key pad doesnt beep at all, I think this is my problem, I cant input the installer code, for some reason the keypad wont recognize it. I tried retrieving the kekypad addy too, but nothing happenened when we held the 1 & 3 simultaneously. No beep, no menu. If i understand this correctly, I need to input the installer code before i can access the program menu, but this is where i have the problem, just getting the installer code in. Thank you for helping with this problem guys, all replys are much appreciated. Thx ron, thx pro tech

Old 02-20-09, 02:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Just to verify: Are you _sure_ you have a Vista 10se? Vista 10P looks very similar.

Just for fun: do * + # to get into programming. Press *20 4111 (note this time its * not #)

Press *99

Try 4111 1 if you hear the beep, then try going back into programming with 4111 + 8 + 0. If that doesn't go back into programming try 4111 + 8 + 00.

Old 02-20-09, 03:21 PM
yup

i checked, and i have the vista 10se, I disconnected the power and did the *and# until 20 showed and then pressed (*) 20 then 4111 then i pressed *99, it beeped and 99 blinked on the display but when i tried to put in the 4111 +8+0 nothing happens,

Old 02-20-09, 06:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ummm, are you waiting long enough for this thing to exit programming mode? It takes about a minute or so after you key in the exit program command for the system to return to normal operations mode. Only then should you try to jump back to program mode.

The downloader software can change the internal programming so that the methods of entering programming can be limited, for example, to _only_ via * + #.

By your description, you have correctly set the installer code to 4111. Once you are actually out of programming mode, check check to see if it actually works by keying in 4111 1.

If so you should be able to use it to set a master user code for normal arming and disarming.

The Vista 10se is the alarm equivalent of a old style VW Beetle, there's really not that much complexity in the thing.

Old 02-21-09, 12:19 PM
Phew

wow, finally got it right, and i owe it all to you guys, thx so much for all your help, I did everything you said and finally got it right. Have a great day guys and i will surely recommend you guys to friends with similar problems, couldnt have done it without you,,,,Thx again

Ken,
California

Old 05-01-09, 07:54 PM
B
Thanks for all this info MrRonFL. I was able to recover the installer code on my vista 20p. Now the fun begins

Old 05-01-09, 08:04 PM
B
Originally Posted by kcxj
Protection One has used the following panels in the residential market

In order from the early years to present time:

Moose Z900
Vista 10SE
DSC 5010V2 (breifly)
Vista 250P1 (vista 10p)
Vista 300P1 (vista 15p)
GE Concord 4 (select Markets)
Vista 320P1 (vista 20P)

Keep in mind, Protection One has had many aquisitions and has converted many existing systems. Post the model and I can try to help youl.
Thanks kcxj! This helped me figure out that I have a vista 20p

Old 05-13-09, 03:33 PM
I
We recently bought a bank owned home with a Protection One alarm system, like others PO won't help me out without signing up. The house was built in 2005, if that helps at all with determining the model. It appears to have 7 zones programmed in (but space for an 8th). What I think is the battery backup in the garage is locked and of course we were not left with a key. The system currently flashes between [FC and Not Ready] and [21 and Check] (21 is the code for the motion sensor). AC is always displayed.

Any help on how to get started greatly appreciated. If we are able to reset the code, will the alarm function with all the regular functions, and just not be monitored by the alarm company?

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-13-09, 05:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The key is normally a standard ademco key (#1393). If you know anyone that has an Ademco, First Alert, ADT Safewatch, etc. (basically, if the keypad looks like yours, the key is 90% likely to work) try to borrow their key.

If not, it's an inexpensive cabinet lock. A large flat screwdriver and a strong wrist will open it easily.

The system is a slightly modified Honeyewell/Ademco hardware, and you should be able to gain control of it.

Old 05-21-09, 08:49 AM
I
I used a crow bar and was able to open up the box. The diagram inside says Ademco Vista-20P/Vista20PSIA Series, Ademco Vista-15P Series.

As for wiring.... on 1)black 2)red 3)red 4) 2 blacks 5)red 6)green 7) yellow.... nothing on 8-20 21)grey 22)brown 23) teal 24)red 25) nothing.

Does this help you narrow down the specific model? Then do I just do a goodle search for the manual and follow instructions or do the instructions you've given others work for me?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 05-21-09, 10:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You just named the model. Vista 20p. Use the phrase "vista 20p installer manual" in your websearch, and you will find plenty of free manual downloads.

The basic Ademco info in the manual and the FAQ sticky will allow you to clear the failure to communicate, extract the installer code and use it to set a new master code.

Zone 21 will most likely be a wireless device, a new set of batteries in the transmitter should solve that problem. Just remember that zone troubles on Ademco hardware don't automatically clear. After replacing the batteries and putting the cover back on the device, you have to enter [code] + 1 as if disarming to clear the trouble memory.

Old 05-22-09, 09:31 AM
I
Thank you so much. I recovered the installer code no problem, where I'm having problems, is customizing a code for us to use.

I tried the installer code+8+02+new code and it didn't do anything. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to go back to unplugging the battery/ac each time? It's a pain because the AC is screwed into the ceiling of the garage.

Thanks again.

Old 05-22-09, 02:38 PM
No, you do not need to power down the panel again. If this is a vista 20p, I believe you need to enter the following to change the master code:

Installer code + 8 + 02 + [new 4 digit code] + [new 4 digit code]

Good luck

Old 12-31-09, 01:55 PM
D
Vista 20P

Help! This is driving me INSANE! We let our contract run itself out w/ Protect. One. Now our alarm system will arm/disarm etc., but the horn won't go off. I have a dO flashing (dialer off-per the install manual). I did the whole power down and reset my code but nothing changed. What can I do next?

Old 12-31-09, 05:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Bad news, when you lapsed with P1 you should have unplugged the phone line. They dialed into the system and used the download software to disable your system.

In short, they bricked it.

You can check the condition of the siren easily: just disconnect the siren wires at the motherboard and touch them to the battery. If the siren sounds, then the siren is good and you can be sure they bricked your system.

Old 01-01-10, 03:05 AM
D
Uggh...

So am I completely hosed? Is it possible to reset the whole thing to factory settings or would setting all that up again be nearly impossible for a novice? It kinda twists me up since I actually paid for the system...it wasn't a "get a system just buy the contract" deal. Just for discussion purposes, is there any cheater software out there to reconfig this?

Old 01-01-10, 08:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When Ron said, "they bricked it," he meant the system is now completely useless unless you call Protect One and see if they will "unbrick" it if it's your system.

Old 01-01-10, 11:09 AM
D
Originally Posted by HotinOKC
When Ron said, "they bricked it," he meant the system is now completely useless unless you call Protect One and see if they will "unbrick" it if it's your system.
Yeah, I got that part. I'm wondering if there is a cheat software out there to reverse it or at worst what specific component could I replace (or would reprogramming the new component be too difficult...

Old 01-01-10, 11:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
No, if the download software is used to disable a system, only that copy of the software can unlock it. Your only fix is a motherboard and starting over from scratch, unless they did something really offbeat.

Old 01-02-10, 03:16 PM
D
I got 'em!

MrRon,
Thanks for your help. I'm happy to report the bad news that my only fix was anew m.board or get P1 to turn it back on...I somehow have accomplished the improbable. Called the alarm co. and said I was interested in possibly turning my system back on. They said a test was required they would have to send a tech out to turn the dialer back on. Told 'em I had had very bad experiences w/ their installers (truth) and didn't want someone here and that I was sure that since they could disable it via phone, they could enable it via phone. A short time later they turned everything back on, alarm works 100% and I promptly unplugged the phone line!
Now, using my manual, can I 1)change something so they can't try to disable it in the future 2) have the system dial me (instead of an alarm co.)?

Old 01-02-10, 06:46 PM
N
Smile Disable P1 from gaining anymore access to your system

Follow these steps to disable P1 from gaining access to your system.
1. go into programming mode...installer code, 8+0+0
2. enter *96. this resets the 4 digit account number that P1 set up your system with for reporting to the monitoring station. It also resets the central station ID to default FFFFFFFF.
3. Enter *41* This removes the phone number that it dials to.
4. Enter *42* This removes the 2 phone number that it dials to
5. Enter *92 then 0. This disables the phone line monitor module.
6. Exit programming by entering *99
7. Finally unplug the phone jack from your alarm control pc board.

You have now disabled any connection with P1 along with not having any "FC" displays on your keypad. The system will run as a local system. Let me know if you need any other help. I am in the alarm business, use Ademco/Honeywell products daily.

Norm
Arizona

Old 01-12-10, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by dyver26
MrRon,
Thanks for your help. I'm happy to report the bad news that my only fix was anew m.board or get P1 to turn it back on...I somehow have accomplished the improbable. Called the alarm co. and said I was interested in possibly turning my system back on. They said a test was required they would have to send a tech out to turn the dialer back on. Told 'em I had had very bad experiences w/ their installers (truth) and didn't want someone here and that I was sure that since they could disable it via phone, they could enable it via phone. A short time later they turned everything back on, alarm works 100% and I promptly unplugged the phone line!
Now, using my manual, can I 1)change something so they can't try to disable it in the future 2) have the system dial me (instead of an alarm co.)?
just to let you know when thay turned the system back on you are now in a new 3 year deal you will get a bill just look out !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: