Craftsman 24hp riding mower Carb problems?

Old 04-26-12, 08:40 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman 24hp riding mower Carb problems?

I have a Craftsman 24 hp riding mower that i brought in 2008. The mower had turned off in October 2011 and wouldnt start. I put in the shed without draining the remaining fuel (i had put stabilizer in the fuel). I took it out a few weeks ago and played around with the throttle and got it to start. Then a week later i drained the fuel and put 93 octane gas in it with stabilzer mix. I also changed the oil and oil filter. Also washed it carefully without getting water under the hood. I started up and it was running pretty smooth and all of sudden it started to kind of start acting up then it turned off. Put it in the garage and two days later i was able to start it again my pulling on the choke and cut half the lawn and then it acted up and turned off. Is it the carb. can i replace the carb by myself on these newer models. I called Sears and made an appt. I am afraid to be stuck with huge bill. Please tell me if there is anyway I can fix this on my own.

God Bless

George

Old 04-26-12, 09:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Is the engine dying only after it gets good and hot or does it also happen when the engine is cool? How does the engine sound when it dies? Does it run funny & sputter as it dies or is it a quick death like turning off the key?

Old 04-26-12, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hard to know exactly what's wrong by that description, but it kind of sounds like there is trash floating around in the carb bowl, blocking the jets at times, not at others.

Back when I worked as a Sears repairman, housecalls were terribly expensive if the unit wasn't warranty. It might not be that way now, but I'd find out before committing.

Old 04-28-12, 03:37 PM
N
thanks for replying. it sputter before it dies. i replaced the fuel filter with a new one which is made of really clear plastic and the fuel is actually really low. actually under the line. so its turning off because its hardly getting any fuel. but i dont know why its low. the line from the filter goes to a small pump like looking thing then it splits from there and one line goes to the carb and the other is going to some other contraption.
It sputtered off today after i cut a good amount of the lawn. if you have any ideas please let me know.

Old 04-28-12, 03:42 PM
N
i replaced the fuel filter with a new one which is made of really clear plastic and the fuel is actually really low. actually under the line. so its turning off because its hardly getting any fuel. but i dont know why its low. the line from the filter goes to a small pump like looking thing then it splits from there and one line goes to the carb and the other is going to some other contraption.
It sputtered off today after i cut a good amount of the lawn. if you have any ideas please let me know.

Old 04-28-12, 10:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The fuel level in the filter doesn't mean anything. To check fuel flow, you'll need to remove the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine to see how much and how fast it flows there.

Old 04-29-12, 09:42 PM
Just for a goof try it with the gas cap loose & if it still quits, check for spark,,
Just a couple thoughts,, Roger

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: