Error Code ER 1F in LG Refridgerator

Old 04-15-13, 07:14 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Error Code ER 1F in LG Refridgerator

Hello! I have an LG fridge # LFX25960ST. Last year after a power outage we regained power and a code ER 1F came up on my fridge. I called LG and of course it is out of warranty. I have determined after a bit of looking around, that this code refers to the ICE BLOWER FAN (part # 5209JA1044A). The error could also be in the Main board or the PCB board. I think it is the fan that is the problem, but I would like to make sure before I go buy one. I believe I can verify voltage on the main board.... however... I don't know how to access the main board. Also I think I could check the operation of the fan itself.

LG support said to turn off the fridge via circuit breaker for 8 hours and restart. I did this, the ice maker came back on, worked for a week or so, and got the message again (shut off, ice leaked on laminate floor ). I had it off for a while and I turned it on again this morning. As of 10pm it is still on and making ice. I thought that due to the power outage maybe the board was fried. But... the rest of the fridge works fine and the ice maker is working ok now.

COuld it be the fan connection? Or frost/fan freezing up? Any ideas how to verify the fan is bad and should be replaced? I know I can just replace the fan..... but I would like some more verification that this would be the way to go. Thanks!

Frank

Old 04-16-13, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
With these units using adaptive defrosting technology..... they are becoming extremely hard to troubleshoot as well as costly to repair. The govt. is mandating more energy efficient products. So you save money on energy and spend it on repairs.

It sounds like your unit is building up frost. You partially confirmed it when you said you un-plugged it and there was water all over the floor.

In the following parts pictorial....part # 407A is the ice fan motor. It appears to be located in the bottom of the unit. I would check for voltage and fan operation at that point.

Click on the link. This is the parts list page. Now click on "view full size" under small illustration. The pic will open in a new page. Now click on the new pic and it will open to a full page plus view. Use your cursor to drag the picture of use the arrow buttons.

sears parts direct - LG-Parts/Refrigerator-Model-LFX25960ST

Old 04-16-13, 12:04 PM
F
Thanks PJmax! The water on the floor was actually on the front of the fridge under the ice maker itself... probably from melted ice. It has now been 26 hours since I turned it back on, and seems to be working ok. I plan on waiting until the unit gives me the error code again and at that time open the back up and see if the fan has frozen or not. Do you know if this part has been changed by the manufacturer to fix this problem?

Old 08-13-13, 06:56 AM
F
Well I have been busy since first post. I turn the icemaker on occasionally, make a batch of ice, and turn it off. I tried to turn it on again yesterday and almost immediately got the ER IF message. It did not run long enough to build up any frost on the fan. Can I assume it would be the fan itself? And can I test the fan after I remove it? My wife is finally going back to work as a teacher so I should finally have some peace and quiet during the day to tackle this issue. Thank you!

Old 08-13-13, 11:12 PM
Group Moderator
You could remove the motor to test it however with some motors it is a cold issue. The cold freezes the motor and it won't start running.

You'd really need to just observe it in operation.

Old 04-21-14, 11:43 AM
R
I have the LG refrigerator less than 12 months old, has same issue for last 1 week. found out there is an issue with all LG refrigerators with Error code 1F.
So now they are planning to replace that motor ice maker and also the grill

It started producing humming noise on the back, that was due to frost buildup on coil.

Ended up with this error message. New part has technology heater, so when ever the frost builds up the heater will defrost.

LG should honor to fix this issue who ever compains, nothing not go thru the warranty. its scam.

I hate new refrigerators with more hitech always gives some issues.

Old 05-07-14, 10:47 AM
I
thanks for posting, I am not alone in my fridge problem

a major local repair shop has severed relations with lg because of their repair policies

we bought our lg 2 years ago and it sat in a box until we got new home built

we have had it installed and living here since july 2013

the er message came on, with f1, online suggested a one minute unplug, we had dumped the ice maker, it worked a few minutes and messages came back on

I called repair and got info they don't work with them anymore. I called lg and they recommended the 4 hour unplug, worked briefly and message er again

I called again, have to prepay, get 90 warranty for work, and their accounting dept was closed. called today and now have appointment Friday

I am frustrated that a new lg is messed up already, this should be a recall item, or fix on their dime

Old 05-09-14, 04:46 AM
E
ER IF Same problem

My problem started about a year ago. The problem was intermittent so I thought that it was electrical. Even though the error is on the display, the fan will still blow air for about 15 seconds, then stop. This repeats several times. Occasionally, there's a momentary power interruption and the display resets. same as flipping the circuit breaker. I've replaced the main PCB behind the ice chute. Not the problem unless the new PCB is also faulty. Not likely. When it's working, the ice overflows the bin which is a common problem. I put the extra cubes in a container and keep them in the freezer for backup
I finally broke down and pulled the bottom section apart. No ice on the fan. I've concluded that LG stands for "Lottsa Grief".

Old 08-09-14, 10:32 AM
K
Our 2 1/2 year old LG popped up the error code ER 1F yesterday. Called LG service, on hold forever, then absolutely no help. Unplugged the refrigerator for 60 sec and plugged back in and it seems to be OK for now.

This problem seems to be pervasive enough to warrant that LG do a recall.

Old 09-29-14, 04:43 PM
B
Kenmore Non Elit

Our fridge is 13 mths old. One month past warranty. I figured a $3000 unit shouldn't need an extended warranty so I passed but knowing it only came with a one year should have been a clue to what the manufacturer thought about it. I think it's a shame Sears would knowingly sell us a faulty product. By the reviews left on their sights and all over the internet where hundreds of others had the same issue I know they were aware. They repaired enough of them several times. They use the same replacement part which then goes out and has to be repaired again. Best Buy replaced by friends after three times under their lemon policy. Sears nothing. All the person on call wanted to do was set me up a service call. I guess these types of faulty products keeps their service dept in business.

Old 09-29-14, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

In the past I would have frowned on an extended warranty. With today's electronically controlled fridges I wouldn't consider anything less then a three year extended warranty. It's extremely sad that an extended warranty is required now with appliance purchases.

Er IF - The fan for the ice compartment failed due to motor failure, ice blocking the blades from turning or a problem originating on the control board.

Bpdagg..... You posted in an LG refrigerator thread. Is your unit an LG model ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I can see by the 30,000 page views that LG has a major issue on their hands.

Old 09-29-14, 05:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Go to the store you bought ref. from Talk to Store manager not appliance manager. Take some of the print outs of what you found on internet. See if he, she can do something.

Old 01-19-15, 07:38 AM
J
I have an LG LFX25975ST and have been experiencing the same issue: er IF. I called LG and they told me it was the Ice Maker Fan, but could not tell me the part number I needed because apparently a part does not exist for the ice maker fan. I called 3 different times and each rep gave me a different part number. Finally, I just ordered the ice maker assembly, replaced it and am stuck with the same issue.

Has anyone resolved this yet? I really don't want to pay $200 - $300 for a tech.

Old 01-20-15, 12:01 AM
Group Moderator
The LG part number is 5209JA1044A for the ice maker blower fan.

You'll probably find the link below helpful. Read to the bottom.
LG 5209JA1044A Duct Assm.,connector - Appliance Parts Pros

Old 01-20-15, 12:56 PM
J
Refrigerator class action settlement

I just got a notice today of a class action settlement involving this issue. You can find it here: LG Refrigerator Settlement Website

I'm completing the claim form now. Best of luck, all!

Old 01-23-15, 12:59 PM
J
Thanks. Too bad my model number isn't on the list.

Old 01-23-15, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks jdavelaw for the LG update.

Time is running short if this problem pertains to you. You can find more info here......
LG Refrigerator Settlement Website – Important Documents

If you have the same problem and your appliance is not covered under the class action suit..... contact LG directly and say "what gives.... what about my fridge with the same problem ?"
Keep contacting them....be a squeaky wheel.

Basically we've pretty much covered this topic in detail. This thread will remain in the searchable archives. If you have an additional question or problem.... please feel free to start a new thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: