Connect bypass humidifier to Ecobee 3 thermostat

Old 01-17-16, 12:59 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connect bypass humidifier to Ecobee 3 thermostat

I just purchased the ecobee 3 and love it so far. I'd like to add my whole house bypass humidifier to the mix but it isn't wired like any of the diagrams supplied that I can tell.

My Bryant furnace model 340aav048100absa is connected directly to my Lennox Healthy Climate HCWB3-17 bypass humidifier without being connected to the ecobee 3 but instead a humidistat. My furnace is currently connected to the ecobee 3 with the conventional heat and cool diagram in the ecobee manual.

Furnace is connected to humidifier as follows:

-Red wire from furnace board COM 24V gets connected directly to humidistat and from there runs to a yellow wire on the humidifier
-White wire from furnace board goes directly to a second yellow wire on the humidifier
-(There is also a float with a switch from the drain pan wired into the yellow wires from humidifier)
-No other wires exist

I've included my simple drawing of the wiring from furnace to humidifier and a picture of the wiring on my furnace board. Also included a picture of the aforementioned standard wiring.

Please provide help on the proper method of wiring the ecobee 3 to the humidifier and removing the humidistat. I also have 3 unused wires by the ecobee and by the furnace that can be used. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 28181
Size:  20.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 31406
Size:  18.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 23627
Size:  42.0 KB

Old 01-17-16, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Remove the humidifier wire from W.
Connect it to one unused wire that go to the stat.
Connect that wire at the stat to ACC+. (there is no polarity to humidifier)
If not needed..... bypass old humidistat.
Program the stat for one wire accessory.

Name:  bee.JPG
Views: 37195
Size:  36.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-14-17 at 10:01 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-17-16, 02:22 PM
D
Thanks Pete! Will this setup also provide power to the humidifier?

Old 01-17-16, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... there will be two wires from the stat directly to the humidifier.

Old 01-17-16, 07:10 PM
D
I've hooked it up this way but it isn't working. Ecobee reads 36% current humidity. I set it to 50% and cranked up the heat but the water for the humidifier doesn't come on. Any thoughts?

Old 01-21-16, 06:13 PM
I
If you're still stuck (Ecobee3 Humidifier Control 24V)

Not sure if you figured this out, yet, I went through this myself recently... hope this helps.

The way my humidifier and humidistat was wired looks similar to yours. I was just short on extra wires, so here’s what I did:

1.) I used my C wire at the thermostat (Ecobee3) and moved it to my Acc+.
2.) My humidifier solenoid was already wired to my furnace to the C (24V) and the W (Heat call).
a. Just had to cut old wires from the original humidistat way at the solenoid.
3.) I installed the PEK (power extender kit) to free up the old C wire at the furnace
4.) Attached the old C wire, now Acc+ to either wire (doesn’t matter which one) from the humidifier
5.) Left the other wire from the humidifier to the C (24V)... so yes, you do need power to the solenoid
6.) Setup Ecobee3 for humidifier operation… done.

Drawings below:
New Wiring
Name:  Thermostat.Humid.wiring.jpg
Views: 21252
Size:  21.3 KB

Old Wiring
Name:  Old -Thermostat.Humid.wiring.jpg
Views: 22027
Size:  26.4 KB

Old 01-22-16, 12:28 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Thank you itsnot. I had a similar response typed up and thought it posted but I see it's not here.

Old 01-22-16, 05:33 AM
D
Thank you

Thank you Pete and itsnot! I've got it figured out. Fortunately, I had extra wire so I am simply running one wire from humidifier to ecobee3 in ACC+ and one wire from humidifier back to furnace board in COM 24 VAC. This seems to have solved everything. Now all I need is for the humidifer to catch up.

Old 09-30-16, 09:48 AM
V
Hi, I'm totally new to this.

Correct me if I'm wrong:
1. Connect one wire from the Humidifier Solenoid to COM 24 VAC(probably already connected)
2. Connect the other wire from the Humidifier Solenoid to a wire going to the the Ecobee. This wire will go into ACC+ on Ecobee
3. Cut the wires from the Humidifier Solenoid to the Humidistat so it will no longer use it.

Old 09-30-16, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

If you reread your #1 and #2 points...... you've already covered both solenoid wires.
That would mean that the solenoid wires no longer go the humidistat.... which is correct.

Old 11-24-16, 03:28 PM
M
Thanks

Thanks for all the good and clear info so far everyone. Planning my Ecobee install right now, and this was one of my priorities, to get the humidifier control integrated.

In itsnot's New diagram and the method that is described having the 1st wire from the solenoid to the furnace board (COM 24 VAC), and the 2nd wire from the solenoid to the Ecobee ACC+ location - is it then considered a 1 wire configuration (for the purpose of programming the ecobee), vs the 2 wire in the original post?

99% sure but just want to confirm.

Thanks,
MK

Old 11-24-16, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Yes.... it is a one wire setup for programming.

Old 12-20-16, 04:33 PM
G
Hello,

Hi All! I'm new to the forum. I have this exact setup as I have a separate humidistat that only activates the solenoid valve when the heat is pumping, therefore, I cannot achieve the humidity I want. In order to have the Ecobee3 to control the humidity, I would have to bypass my current humidistat and have one end of the solenoid valve to connect to the ACC+ on the Ecobee3. My question is: can this be done without any extra wires? I have an older home and setup that only have a 4 wire setup from the thermostat to the furnace so I had to use the PEK to even get the Ecobee3 to work. Currently there are 2 wires going from my humidistat to my furnace, one red wire is clipped strait in to a lead on the board called "HUM" and the other is a white wire going to the 24v COMM. My furnace is a Carrier Weather Maker 9200.

Old 12-20-16, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You need an additional wire from the stat to the humidifier.... for 5 wires.
You will bypass the second hstat. Actually you can leave it connected and just set it to high humidity.

Old 02-14-17, 08:44 PM
D
Thank you for all the help.

Forgive me because this is all new to me.

In all the drawings in this post there is no humidistat shown in the schematics. Can it be disconnected all together? Currently the humidistat is near the blower. I do have a spare line running from the stat to the furnace that I can connect to the ACC+ but I dont understand step 4 where itsnot states:
4.) Attached the old C wire, now Acc+ to either wire (doesn’t matter which one) from the humidifier.

Which wire is he referring to?

I've got two wires from the humidistat and two from the humidifier. One of the Humidifier wires stays connected to the C on the furnace board and the second connects to a prong on the board that actually states 'HUM' instead of the 'G C W Y R' section of the board.

Sorry for the disjointed message. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-14-17, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I've got two wires from the humidistat and two from the humidifier. One of the Humidifier wires stays connected to the C on the furnace board and the second connects to a prong on the board that actually states 'HUM' instead of the 'G C W Y R' section of the board.
The one humidifier wire stays right on the C connection.
The other lead gets removed from the "HUM" terminal and gets re-connected to ACC+.

There should be nothing else in line.
Disconnect the old humidistat.

Old 11-11-17, 06:41 AM
R
Hi everyone.

I thought I would resurrect this post to see if I can get some advice on hooking up my Aprilaire 600 humidifier to my Ecobee 3.

My Ecobee 3 is connected to a PEK as I did not have a C wire from the original thermostat.

The Aprilaire is currently wired as follows:

Black and white wires from the solenoid to the manual humidifier controller, where the black wire is connected to this controller. From the controller the black wire is connected to the R furnace terminal and the white wire is connected to the C furnace terminal. This has been my setup before getting my Ecobee 3.

Can someone please provide me with directions on how to connect my Aprilaire 600 so that my Ecobee 3 is the humidifier controller vs the old manual controller?

Your advice and directions would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Old 11-11-17, 07:33 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The PEK will not support the humidifier connection.
Time to replace the stat cable to one with more conductors.

Connecting the humidifier to R and C means that the humidifier will always run if the humidistat tells it to. That is not an ideal setup. The furnace needs to be in heat mode before the humidifier operates.

Old 11-11-17, 08:48 AM
R
Thanks for the quick response.

I guess ill I’ll have to call around to find someone to properly fish a new stat cable for me.

Cheers!

Old 11-11-17, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
They do make a product called Fast Stat. It's similar to the PEK but does more functions.
How many wires do you currently have between the stat and the system. ?

Old 11-11-17, 09:11 AM
R
There are 4 wires. R/Rc, G, Y, W

Cheers!

Old 11-11-17, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... so you've probably converted the G wire for C use and added a jumper from Y to G at the furnace. You've lost the FAN ON feature on the stat.

So we need heat, cool, fan and humidifier control.
I would recommend the FS-3000. That would control the heat, cool and fan.
The humidifier would be on its own wire.

Fast-stat.net/

Old 11-11-17, 12:37 PM
R
Pjmax, which Fast Stat model based on the 4 wires that I have from my stat to the furnace should I get?

Cheers!

Old 11-11-17, 12:40 PM
R
Sorry, I just noticed your post. I need to learn to refresh first. Lol.

Old 12-20-17, 09:47 PM
S
I have read through all the comments already and most of it is somewhat confusing to me but I get some of it. My question has probably already been answered but just not in a way that makes since to me.

I have the Ecobee3 hooked up already using a 5 wire setup. I just got my Aprilaire 600 and can do everything but the wiring. I will attach some pics if that helps but what wires from the humidifier should I run to the furnace and where should they be hooked up at so I can have the Ecobee run the humidifier? Also, a transformer was included with the humidifier, does that need to be used or can I disregard it with the set up I have.

Thank you very much in advance for whoever can help me and my wife’s dry skin will thank you too.

Attached Images   
Old 12-20-17, 10:01 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

What you want to do is shown in post 2.

You have an extra brown wire in your thermostat cable.
Connect it to ACC+ at the stat.
At the furnace end... connect that brown wire to one of the solenoid wires.
Connect the other solenoid wire to C at the furnace where white and blue are connected.
You will have three wires on the C terminal.

You don't need the transformer.
Program the stat for 1 wire humidifier with heat.

Old 12-21-17, 09:41 AM
S
I was thinking that would be the right set up but I wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help PJmax!!

Old 01-13-18, 01:17 PM
S
I have everything setup the same as Post 2, but without the Y wire. As I understand it, the Y wire would be used for an air conditioning setup, but I don't have an air conditioner. Should this same setup work without the Y wire or is there another configuration I should be using? The humidifier currently doesn't work as setup.

Old 01-13-18, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The Y is only for A/C.
You just need the C and ACC+ connections.

You need to go into the thermostat settings and select one wire humidifier.

Last edited by PJmax; 01-13-18 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
I can see by the amount of page views that this is a hot topic. Once an older thread grows to this size it's sent to the archives where it can always be searched and viewed. If you have a further question that is not addressed here or need more help.... please feel free to start a new thread and we'll take care of it there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: