Sears 300 Water Softener resin replace questions

Old 03-30-17, 08:40 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sears 300 Water Softener resin replace questions

Hi everyone,
I've read in this forum about the Sears branded water softeners, and if I recall correctly they are generally designed in a proprietary manner that they are not often recommended by the professional water softener folks here.
I've had two, a Sears Model 30 and currently a Sears Model 300 - when we bought the house the Model 30 was already installed and on replacing a few years later with the Model 300 - it was on sale at Sears and the same type connection fittings made it a relatively easy DIY install.

Anyway, I know the Model 30 was in place for like 20 years but the home was previously owned by an elderly couple who only got to stay in the home for less than 10 years... So the actual total usage on the unit was probably around 10 years. Anyway it worked fine for us for a couple of years when the whole thing plugged up as the resin probably deteriorated to a pulp and I'm sure the four of us were using a lot more water.

My questions are:
About how long should the resin in a water softener last ? And,
How difficult is it to replace resin in a Sears 300 water softener?
Where could I get some information on this forum or anyplace for doing the job?
Thanks all - looking forward to you replies.
greynold99

Old 03-30-17, 01:16 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
When the sears type units start having a problem sears and the rest like them have it so that it is cheaper and easier to remove and replace with a new one rather than rebuild.
The is just the nature of the beast.

Old 03-31-17, 04:29 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
You can find info at Searspartsdirect or WaterSoftenerSuperStore. They can be rebuilt but sometimes it easier and cheaper to replace.

Old 04-07-17, 06:42 AM
G
Just a follow up and a note on an observation about the water softener function ...

Is 10 years a reasonable lifetime for a resin bed for usage by family of three and moderately hard water (450-500 Hardness scale reading)?

One thing I've noticed over the years is that immediately after a Regen, the following day or so I don't really notice soft water but am sure it's working... However, as we near the end of the typical span of time (about 3 or 4 days) between regens - the water actually get very soft for a day or so and then you immediately get hard water afterwards.
I've wondered if this is typical of water softeners in general or for Sears water softeners specifically.

As I've said, on the water softeness setting for this unit, I only have it set at '15' and when I had it set when a new unit to the recommended setting in manual, which I think was somewhere around '25' or so, - the water was way too soft. For the first four years, I had it set at '10'.

I figured having it set to a minimal setting that was satisfactory was better for the overall lifespan of the resin bed material.

Appreciate your comments,
greynold99

Old 04-08-17, 04:46 AM
You either have soft water or hard water. U can not have "too" soft water. Setting the unit above or below the actual hardness that is in the water will result in running out of soft water prior to a regen (too low) or wasting salt (too high). I would recommend you have your water tested and set the system accordingly. Good luck

Old 04-11-17, 11:14 AM
G
biermech,
Thanks for your reply but I was only telling you what I've observed with this water softener. When I speak about the water appearing softer right before the time that a regen is going to be needed, I mean that 'soapy' feeling you get trying to rinse off the soap. After that one time, the water immediately gets 'hard' by feel and doesn't change until a regen is done.
My well water is pretty good and the 1000 gal. cistern holding tank on a Coyote system takes care of the first phase of sediment control. Then there's a whole house cartridge filter before water goes into the water softener.
I can always tell by the taste of the water when a regen is needed as it tastes a little off to me at that time.

Also I wanted to ask you what your typical experience with the life time of water softeners is - does 10 years sound about right? I understand that'll vary somewhat between families and usage.
thanks,
greynold99

Old 04-13-17, 04:57 AM
Sears softeners can last a long time or give out in just a few years. It's a crap shoot. If it is still providing soft water but gets hard just before a regen, move the hardness number up 3-5 so it will regen before it allows hardwater to pass through.

Old 04-19-17, 09:31 PM
B
I am planning to add a water softener to my home since we have hard water problems. I plan to also run a separate line off the softener so I can wash my cars.

I am also planning on buying a electromagnetic water softener which my plumber recommends. This will allow it to be run through the entire house and be used for cooking, ice cubes and drinking.

Have any of you had any experience with this kind of softener instead of the typical salt based systems.

Thanks!

Old 04-22-17, 05:05 AM
If you plan on buying an electromagnetic system send the money to me and I'll send you my refrigerator magnet. The only difference is mine will have a pretty picture but will work the same. Now all kidding aside. Don't waste your money. They won't do anything to your water, just lighten your wallet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: