Is road hazard warranty on tires worth extra cost

Old 04-20-17, 12:33 PM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Is road hazard warranty on tires worth extra cost

Needs new tires for a Hyundai Sonata and the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus has top ratings at tirerack. I can get them at a reputable online dealer for $776 (delivered plus tax) with free road hazard warranty. There is another online dealer with a seemingly reputable online rating (99.7% positive feedback and 73000 transactions) selling the same tires for $564 delivered (plus tax) but no road hazard. I am all in favor of paying more for better tires but I am struggling with the $212 difference for the road hazard warranty.

Is it really worth paying more for these tires from one online dealer versus another if they both seem to have good reputations?

I can provide actual vendor names via PM is you are interested.

- Peter

Old 04-20-17, 12:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I've been getting my tires on line for some time, both personal and for the wrecker. The site I use offers an optional road hazard warranty ($15-20 per) you can add on or skip. I've always been up in the air on that. I skip it for the truck tires because probably wouldn't apply to commercial apps. I think I've gone both ways for personal tires, just depends how I feel at the moment, I guess. The road hazard warranty is just like any other kind of "insurance". You're gambling you'll need it and they're gambling that the majority of people who buy them WON'T need it, thereby making a profit. I'll pm you where I go so I won't have to ban myself for advertising.

Old 04-20-17, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
My vehicle is semi commercial.... 1 ton van.... so I've never opted for any type of "road hazard" tire or guaranty but for the price difference of $212 that is the price of one tire and part of another one.

How is your track record with tires and hazards. That should be the ultimate guide.

Old 04-20-17, 01:22 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I've NEVER gotten satisfaction out of any Road Hazard OR Mileage Warranty on my tires, even though I've gone through the hoops of documenting my Seasonal Tire Rotations and frequent Alignments.

I'm currently in a dispute with a major manufacturer who provided a 50,000 mile warranty on tires that lasted me only 21,000 miles, and they are arguing that I probably didn't consistently maintain the tire pressure, and I had to supplement the other records regarding rotation and alignments with an affidavit from my Mechanic regarding The Pressure and Balancing.

And even if I win this dispute, it will only allow me to obtain a discount on the purchase of that same brand tire !

Life is too short for me to ever consider buying that brand tire again anyway . . . . so I think it's all a waste of time and money. It's just a marketing gimmick, and an easy way for merchants and manufacturers to relocate some of your money from your pocket into theirs !

That's my UNBIASED opinion.

Old 04-20-17, 01:48 PM
R
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
How many times have you encountered a road hazard? If you have bad luck with tires it might be worth it, otherwise it is just a profit maker for the sellers just like extended warranties on everything else. A complete waste of money 99.9% of the time.

Old 04-20-17, 01:58 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I fix my own flats, assuming they are fixable, so the warranty does me no good unless the tire is destroyed, which is maybe 20% of the flats I have or less.

Old 04-20-17, 03:58 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Road/tire hazard and extended warranties are pure profit for the retailer. After 40 years or appliances, electronics, tires, etc I have NEVER once took the bait despite some heavy pressure. I can only think of one tire, and one appliance that I might have had some recourse with.

Score, hundreds for me, 2 for them!

Put the money in the bank!!

Old 04-20-17, 04:44 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
It has been several years since I bought tires but I would not pay extra for road hazard insurance. In my case it was included when buying a full set of four tires. When it came time to actually USE the insurance, either for a truly damaged tire or for one that simply wore out before the mileage guarantee, they pro-rated the adjustment. In every case it only amounted to a fraction of the cost of a new tire. Better than being told to pound sand but definitely not good enough to warrant another $50 per tire.

Old 04-21-17, 04:06 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I always get it and have used it! As far as I;m concerned it's a no brainer. You spend $150 to $500 per tire, anther $100 or so for road hazard is good sense.

Old 04-21-17, 05:18 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is the process to get a warranty honored by an On-Line retailer? Does the warranty include lifetime tire rotation too?

Old 04-21-17, 06:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I was a mechanic in a shop where we sold a couple of hundred tires a week. I would guess that less than 1 tire a week was replaced do to a hazard. Most tires wear is LOW PRESSURE,and alignment. Hazard is usually defined as something puncturing the tire. One thing they do usually cover is tire repair. I never buy warranty,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: