How much to spend on siding?

Old 05-18-17, 10:53 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How much to spend on siding?

I am looking for guidance on how much to spend relative to my home's worth on replacing the siding. I've found percentages for kitchen, bedroom, etc. but nothing on siding except for absolute numbers. Trying to decide if it makes sense to spend more on the higher quality longer lasting stuff that looks better.

Obviously 50% is too much to spend on siding, but where would you draw the line? 10%? 15%?

Old 05-18-17, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It is difficult for us to estimate the cost of siding a house. The reason you see percentages on Kitchens and bathrooms is the rate of return when selling a house with those upgrades is pretty standard return (higher than say roofing).

Just don't do as a client of mine discovered. They bought a house to remodel and live there. In the process they removed the vinyl siding to expose pristine cedar (pristine except for the 10,000 nail holes) They are working on a way to salvage the cedar siding and fix the holes.

Old 05-18-17, 06:01 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
That would depend on what the like sales are in your area.
All the other homes in your area worth far more or less?
What's the plans for the house?
Even cheap siding looks OK if you just plan on selling it.
There's dozens of options on trim that can really make a vinyl siding job pop and raise the value of a home.
https://www.certainteed.com/inspiration/

Old 05-19-17, 09:18 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not asking you to give me an estimate on siding, I have estimates. I'm just trying to decide how much is reasonable as a percentage of the value of the house.

The house is on the high end in the neighborhood, but not ridiculously so. I'm not planning on selling soon - one of the reasons we are looking at the higher end options is that I do not really like the look of vinyl. I want to still want the house when we are done because we are planning on staying.

Many of the houses in the area still have cedar shingles (like we have now). So I was looking at Hardie shingles and such. They are coming out to about 20% of the value of the house (approx $30K on $150K). I guess I am concerned I would be putting Cadillac finish on a Honda house, if you know what I mean.

Old 05-19-17, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Even though you aren't asking, what you ARE asking is something we can't compare. In some neighborhoods vinyl siding would be like putting perfume on a pig. In others it would probably degrade the value. Since you are not planning on selling anytime soon, I would not be too concerned about ratio costs. If you like the look, go for it. If something else strikes your fancy, then that would be the reasonable choice.

You could also check with local Realtors regarding such modifications. They would have their hands on the heartbeat so to speak with regards to the quality of siding most used in your neighborhood range.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: