Random Device Disconnect Sound - Could it be electrical?

Old 06-14-17, 02:05 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Random Device Disconnect Sound - Could it be electrical?

I'm an electrical novice, so please bear with me. Here's my sad story:

I was using a self-built machine. Suddenly random USB device disconnect sounds started occurring (sometimes 3x in a row, other times not for several hours) - I disabled all system sounds and it still continued, even though I didn't notice any USB hardware blips). Two months ago, I bought the new Intel NUC7i7BNH, installed Windows 10, and within a few hours the issue suddenly started all over again.

I have replaced or swapped out all my hardware, disabled all Windows power-saving settings, turned off ALL Windows system sounds, tested the same configuration on ***3*** different computers (1 running Win 10, the others Win 7), been on several computer help forums, pretty much eliminated every computer-related fix Google (and several computer advisers) could suggest including testing all USBs - and the same "disconnect" sound (or whatever it is) continues. It's definitely coming through the speakers b/c I can lower the volume. I get no hardware hiccops. Usually, the sound is the 2 tone Downward disconnect sound, but sometimes it just seems like 1 tone. The randomness is what is really frustrating. For instance it was silent all yesterday morning, then 3 times in a half-hour, then nothing until this morning - just once - and then suddenly nearly a dozen times in 10 minutes. There is just no pattern - no particular change in electrical usage.

I'm thinking it must be some sort of electrical issue b/c I've connect the computer(s) in another part of the house... and never hear the noise. Unfortunately, the way my office is set up, everything is on the same circuit.

Right now, I'm using both a battery backup and a surge protector (both purchased since this issue arose). If there is some sort of electrical interference, shouldn't they shield it... or is there something else I can try (short of hiring an electrician to lay new lines)?

So the generated sound cannot be controlled or seemingly silenced.

Also, in the events viewer, nothing ever corresponds to the sounds.

To summarize... I'm looking for something that sounds *like* the double downward tone duh-DUH device disconnect sound (tho sometimes a single tone), comes through the speakers (b/c I can lower the volume on it), is totally independent of anything I may be doing (or not doing anything) at the time, and is completely random. It only happened a few times yesterday, but today occurred at least 10x in less than an hour and nothing since. The only thing that was happening out of the ordinary at that time was that a washing machine was running in another room (not the same circuit) - but it often happens when that isn't happening as well.

*I would appreciate ANY direction as this has been very frustrating. Thanks!

Old 06-14-17, 04:51 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
First, congrats on looking at the event viewer. Most people don't. Secondly, please clarify "random USB discount sound". Is the USB device random or is the sound random?

If it only happens in one part of the house, it shouldn't be too hard to find. You have to be a detective.

Old 06-14-17, 05:06 PM
F
The sound is completely random. And, as I said, I've run pretty much run very Windows/USB test I could find. Now I'm down to searching Process Manager for occurences of .wav sounds. When this issue started on Computer #1, I even went so far as deleting the sound from my hdd. Even that didn't help.

Of course, the obvious solution would be to move everything to another part of the house. However, I'd like to keep the system in this room.

Believe me, I have been a detective. But I've reached the end of my deduction - and I realize the issue is not hardware or Windows-related. I'm just trying to determine if somehow the sound could be electrical in nature. I mean, could a bad or overloaded circuit be causing such a sound?

I have no clue where else it could be coming from.

Old 06-14-17, 06:19 PM
S
Connect all the PCs to a power strip & connect the power strip to an extension cord. Run it the room where you didn't have the problem. See what happens.

Old 06-14-17, 06:52 PM
F
Yikes, Shorty - couldn't that cause a fire? Anyway, I have the computer plugged into the UPS battery.

Old 06-14-17, 09:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You would just use the extension cord as a quick test.
A decent extension cord will work just fine with no fire issues.

Old 06-15-17, 05:01 AM
S
I have the computer plugged into the UPS battery.
Did you move the UPS with the PCs when you moved the network to another part of the house?

Old 06-15-17, 02:42 PM
F
OK, I attached the PC to a 30-foot extension cord - no noises for a couple hours. Hopefully, that is it.

If that's so, what would you suggest as a permanent fix? Would an isolation transformer be of any use?

I'm using an APC Back-UPS Pro 1300VA UPS Battery Backup and Surge Protector (BR1300G). Isn't it supposed to do that?

Old 06-15-17, 02:54 PM
S
Is the UPS connected now?

Old 06-15-17, 03:23 PM
F
No, that wasn't it. Just now - 3 incidents of the noise within a minute.

At least, the computer plugged into the original circuit isn't the source... this is really annoying!!!!!

And yes the UPS is still plugged in.

Old 06-15-17, 03:52 PM
S
So you haven't tried it without the UPS, correct? Try it without it.

Old 06-15-17, 05:06 PM
F
OK... but plug in what? where?

This is my current setup: powered speakers, monitor, synology NAS (currently off), external hdd, powered usb hub (new - since incident started) -> UPS

gigabit ethernet switch, modem -> surge protector (new also)

NUC -> extension cord plugged into circuit in another room

Old 06-15-17, 05:33 PM
S
Connect everything to power strips & wall outlets. You have to do a process of elimination. Start with the UPS.

I just thought of another idea. Record the noise & post it on sound cloud.

Old 06-15-17, 06:46 PM
F
I'm recording my computer sounds (am letting audacity run)... and will post it as soon as I hear it again.

Old 06-16-17, 12:30 PM
F
Old 06-16-17, 01:12 PM
S
It sounds like one of those machines in a hospital that measures vital signs such as a heart rate or brain pulses. Do you live near a hospital or is there something in the house that could mimic something like that?

Old 06-16-17, 01:21 PM
F
No hospitals nearby or any out of the ordinary equipment. doesn't it sound sort of like the old device disconnect sound?

Imagine hearing that 10x in 30 minutes... then nothing for up to a day... then continuing randomly...

Sometimes there's a variation... just a single tone

However, the issue really diminished when I had it on the extension cord (or maybe that was just the randomness of it).

The question remains: where does it come from and why is it coming through my speakers and how do I stop it?

Old 06-16-17, 01:42 PM
S
I was typing something in notepad & every once in awhile I heard the single tone version of the same sound which you just mentioned. I think that it happens if I accidentally hit 2 keys at the same time.

Then I did a search on Google. They talked about a program or a router sending you an "alert". Look to see what programs are set to send you an alert. It could be a .wav file notifiction. For example, if your wifi disconnects.

How to Find Which Program Is Making Sounds in the Background?

Old 06-16-17, 01:51 PM
F
Yeah, a while back I found that same search result. I followed the instructions and let process manager run for 2 days... and despite several sound events, it never found a .wav file that corresponded.

When this started on Computer #1, I even deleted the sound off the computer and I still heard it. That's when I thought it was a Windows connect or disconnect sound.

Unfortunately this comment is my situation:
TN
ANy suggestions besides .wav. I am using the .wav, but procmon is not finding anything and I am still hearing a blip every minute or two. Sometimes two in a row very quickly. Checked the Mixer for applications, but nothing showed up. Set system sound to none and that didn’t make any difference.

Last edited by finvarra; 06-16-17 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-16-17, 02:21 PM
S
What about the router? Are any of the PCs connected wireless? If so, can you use a wired connection instead or at least shut down the wireless PCs for now?

Old 06-16-17, 02:29 PM
F
I could but... this is a different router that I bought after this issue started. It's cable, the old router was DSL. I disabled both wireless and Bluetooth on the NUC.

However, this is interesting - tho it probably is an entirely different issue. While moving hardware around, my ear was very close to one of the speakers and I heard *very* soft digital noise that was unaffected when I turned the volume up or down. It was in both speakers. However, when I disconnected the router, it disappeared.

Any significance?

Old 06-16-17, 04:17 PM
S
Sometimes a power cord can act as an antenna. Sometimes, late at night, I hear what sounds like a broadcast through my speakers. The volume control does nothing. I have all computers & my TV running through my stereo amp. What I think is happening is one of the power cords is picking up a short wave radio or something else. I'm going to try to ground the amp better.

Years ago, I was at an outdoor concert. When Jimi Hendrix was on stage, his amp picked up something but it was loud. When you aren't using your equipment, disconnect the power to the router. See if you hear the sound that you posted before.

Old 06-16-17, 04:45 PM
F
Early on, when I had a DSL modem, I did try that - and as I recall there were no sounds. So that is a possibility. But happening with two different routers - one connected to cable???? I'm not sure.

But, at this point, I'll try anything.

However, if your hypothesis is correct, what can I do to correct the problem?

Old 06-16-17, 06:04 PM
S
The power cord acting as an antenna was more of an answer to the "soft digital sound" that you heard when you were moving the hardware. It could be for the sound that you posted but more likely it could be a setting inside the router. Do you know how to access the web interface of the router to check the settings? BTW, did you say what the make & model of the router is?

Old 06-16-17, 08:24 PM
F
Model is Arris Surfboard SBG7580-AC.

I know how to get into the web interface... but once I'm there what should I look for?

Old 06-16-17, 09:06 PM
S
There are 3 log files that I would check first. Event log & 2 firewall logs, local & remote. See if any of the events match the times that you heard the sound.

Old 06-19-17, 06:29 AM
F
I found the event log - nothing there. But I couldn't locate the firewall logs - anybody familiar with Surfboard routers help me? However, my question is, why would the same sound occur over two different routers (one DSL, the other cable)?

Meanwhile, I changed the outlets on the circuit - only heard the sound once since.

Old 06-19-17, 06:38 AM
S
https://www.midco.com/contentassets/...-sb6782-ac.pdf

The firewall logs are under the firewall heading. Look at page 25.

Old 06-19-17, 06:44 AM
F
This is what I'm seeing under Firewall:

FIREWALL SETTINGS
VIRTUAL SERVERS / PORT …
PORT TRIGGERS
CLIENT IP FILTERS
CLIENT IPV6 FILTERS
DMZ
PARENTAL CONTROLS
ALG

And under FIREWALL SETTINGS:

Firewall Settings
Your Router is equipped with a firewall that will protect your network from a wide array of common hacker attacks including Ping of Death (PoD) and Denial of Service (DoS) attacks. You can turn the firewall function off if needed. Turning off the firewall protection will not leave your network completely vulnerable to hacker attacks, but it is recommended that you turn the firewall on whenever possible.
Firewall Enable/Disable
Enable Firewall
DoS Attack Protection
Enable DoS Attack Protection Firewall
Block Pings
Enable Ping Blocking
IPSec Pass Through
Enable IPSec Pass Through
PPTP Pass Through
Enable PPTP Pass Through
L2TP Pass Through
Enable L2TP Pass Through
Block Fragmented IP Packets
Enable Block Fragmented IP Packets

Old 06-19-17, 06:51 AM
F
This is a pdf of the manual for my router:

https://www.cox.com/content/dam/cox/...User_Guide.pdf

I couldn't find a reference to firewall logs.

Old 06-19-17, 06:52 AM
S
Temporarily disable the firewall. See if the alert stops.

Old 06-19-17, 07:11 AM
F
OK - router firewall turned off. I'll let you know if/when I hear the sound. Are we calling it an alert now?

Old 06-19-17, 07:49 AM
F
Sound again - just now - with firewall off

Old 06-19-17, 08:12 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Is the power supply sufficient for that home=built computer?
How old is it?

Sounds like a transient over/under voltage.
Are the USB ports add-ons or built onto the motherboard?

Old 06-19-17, 08:41 AM
F
Hal - This is an issue that has existed with 3 different computers. It started with the home-built PC but continues with a new Intel NUC. All the additional hardware has been replaced and/or swapped out. I've ruled out Windows issues. I've tested the circuit - and just replaced all the outlets.

And I still have no idea what that random sound on msg #15 is - or where it comes from - or how to stop it?

Old 06-19-17, 09:04 AM
F
btw - if it is a transcient over/under voltage, shouldn't my surge protector and/or UPS control that?

Old 06-19-17, 01:34 PM
S
I'm calling it an alert based one of the sites. I don't think that it has anything to do with the house voltage unless you have an burglar alarm.

Old 06-19-17, 02:56 PM
F
No burglar alarm.

I'm totally perplexed - any ideas about what else I can try?

Old 06-19-17, 03:54 PM
S
I just played the sound for a friend of mine who is a retired electrician. He thinks that it's from outside the house. I had said that it sounded like something from a hospital machine. I'm going to play it for someone who worked in a hospital to see what she thinks. That will be in 2 hrs or so.

Since I was saying that it might be an alert from the router, do you want me to send packets to your router to try to replicate the sound. If you're nervous about giving me your IP address, you can have a friend do it & you listen for the sound.

Old 06-19-17, 04:18 PM
F
If you want to do this, I'll send the info in a private message.

Last edited by finvarra; 06-19-17 at 05:03 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: