Looking for phone answering machine

Old 08-02-17, 03:26 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Looking for phone answering machine

I had a -1719 Att answering machine- i could hear it i could understand it.LAND LINE Easy to use i'm a senior.But now have one thats- junk can't understand anything on it.does not work right at all,And i'm not a complainer. What kind to i turn to ?without hocking my automobile and wife to get a good clear reception and ease of useability.machine. Iam listening believe that HELP! what would you get only older nee apply thank you for????? bob s

Old 08-02-17, 04:28 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most of us here are seniors too, over 62. Answering machines for landlines are almost a thing of the past. I'm fighting to keep my flip phone. I finally agreed to use a non stick frying pan. I was a stainless steel die hard. You just might have to use voice mail.

Old 08-02-17, 05:14 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I'm fighting to keep my flip phone.
The day I retire I will be so glad to hand in the company "dumb phone" and will instantly get myself a jitterbug flip phones that I just got for my Mom.

It's the first phone in 10 years that I could actually use without putting my glasses on.

Old 08-02-17, 07:35 PM
B
thank you for the yips guys bob s don't know what i am going to do. bob s

Old 08-02-17, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
The problem Bob is all the currently available answering machines are digital. The conversion to digital leaves the audio choppy and hard to understand.

Shorty mentioned voice main. That's supplied to you free with almost any phone service.
It's fairly easy to use.

On edit: it appears that amazon still has or will have that available from one of their vendors.
amazon/AT&T/1719-Digital-Answering-Machine

Old 08-03-17, 04:06 AM
B
Pj I have comcast digital phone internet and.Tv, So would i contact Comcast to get instructions for using this service?,It registers all incoming numbers and names,BUT no messaging Has ever been on it?/bob s thank you for...

Old 08-03-17, 04:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm pretty sure my phone service has voice mail although I've never set it up. I'm more comfortable using my old answering machine. I assume all you'd [or me] need to do is call customer service to get it set up.

Old 08-03-17, 06:39 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Bob, I would say there is at least a 99% chance that you DO have voicemail available. Check out this link. https://www.xfinity.com/support/phon...-up-voicemail/

Old 08-04-17, 04:25 AM
B
Like everything one does, it takes time to get used too. Comcast(dirty word)set it up for me yesterday after i went on a search for it. I do have it. But i'm realy happier with the separate type..sets on the counter.but! if digitals going to mess things up --in the machine and phone up during use,Oh well. thanks for the help/ Anything else please ring me up here/ i'll be back -and thank you bob s

Old 08-04-17, 10:38 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I hear you, Bob. Theoretically I have voice mail on my VoIP telephone but I have never been able to get it to work. Then again, I never tried really hard either. The voice mail on my cell phone is fine and since that is the phone number I give out it works well for me. Still, I have been looking at the option of getting a stand-alone answering machine for the VoIP line.

Short story about Comcast/Infinity. I was at Wal*Mart last Monday looking for a new blanket. A woman asked me how I was doing and I said okay and was just about to ask her where the blankets were when I noticed she was wearing a shirt with the Infinity logo. I had to tell her I didn't want to be mean but I would have nothing to do with her company. She understood completely.

Old 08-04-17, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I have a Panasonic cordless phone with answering machine. You can get it with one handset for under $50 and two handsets for around $50. No problems with it.

Old 08-05-17, 07:27 AM
B
Does it talk when the button is pushed so you can hear all the messages left?Where did you find it? ...store. and thanks for the help. If its the take it around cordless type.It would be useless . she
d carry around and lay it down.. If it has cord its what i need. thank you much bob s

Old 08-05-17, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Yes it talks and is understandable. I think I got it at Staples, but I think some phones have to be ordered online now.
Well, cordless is just that. No cord, I'm afraid.
However, in doing a search they do have one that includes a corded phone attached to the answering machine and you get an extra handset that's cordless. But it's $93 and only available online. I'll post a link in case you're interested:
https://www.staples.com/Panasonic-De...roduct_1913434

ETA: here's one that's about $80:
https://www.staples.com/Panasonic-De...roduct_1913439

Last edited by Shadeladie; 08-05-17 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-05-17, 10:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If its the take it around cordless type.It would be useless . she
d carry around and lay it down.
Most have a button you push that makes the phone beep/ring so you can find it. We've used it more than once, works well ....... except for the time I laid my shop phone down and waited most of a week to find it - the battery had died so beep.

Old 08-05-17, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
This one is from Amazon (I'll search for you to see if it's available in any store and is $35.
This has a locator button on the base, so if your wife puts it down somewhere, you'll be able to find it easily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

You can order it from Walmart and have it shipped to a store for pickup:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic...dsets/35788064

Also Home Depot has it and will ship to a store (but it's a few dollars more):
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Panasonic...220N/205142890

Old 08-08-17, 11:32 AM
B
thank you Shadeladie. This helps me a great deal and to all those other guys who can't find their phone either - occasionally that is bob s

Old 08-17-17, 02:23 PM
S
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I find the newer Panasonic systems have very good audio quality. much better than the AT&T systems that have that low quality digital audio. I use both for voicemail, my Ooma (internet based with an analog adapter) when I'm away from home so I'll get a text message that someone left a voicemail message. When I'm home, I use the Panasonic cordless answering system so I can screen callers as they leave a message. Before heading out I use the Ooma system to put the line in Do Not Disturb. Another thing I like about Panasonic is they used (at least up until a few years ago) standard AAA batteries instead of a specific battery pack.

Marq1 - I'm also a senior - sort of, age 60. I just got a cave-man flip phone from Consumer Cellular which works fine for me, and I'm in the telecommunications business. I don't like cellphones, glad they're available but much prefer talking on 'tip and ring'.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: