miter saw lasers

Old 08-08-17, 04:23 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
miter saw lasers

At the time I bought my newest miter saw I had several gift cards, birthdays, Christmas, etc., so I went to get it. Something didn't look right, so I questioned it, even got a manager involved, but he insisted that the price was right. Found out after the fact that someone had priced it wrong just that morning, so I spent $100 less than I had planned to, and with the extra jingle in my pocket I opted to buy a laser for it. Well, I'm sure some of the younger guys might not get it, but, growing up when even a circular saw and a good quality armstrong miter saw were luxuries, I didn't figure that I would use the laser much, and that has proven pretty much the case. My eyes worked through hundreds of jobs before, and fortunately still do. But this afternoon I found the perfect job the laser. Last week I picked up a bunch of blocking, older oak 6x6, 6x8, 8x10, etc. from a farm. Ideal for stacking up to work on the tractor, one of the trailers, or whatever. And I won't say there was a ton of it, but easily a half ton, literally. So it was in the truck, and I figured that I may as well square up some of the worst ends so that they could be used either on their side or on end. Well that laser made the job a whole lot easier. Some of the blocks just fit under the blade, so cut one side, flipped them over, the light wrapped around good so I could cut the opposite side, then finished the larger ones with a hand saw. I may have to start using it more often!

Old 08-08-17, 05:10 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The laser sounds great but I have one question. Did you actually ask to talk to the manager because you wanted to pay more?

Old 08-08-17, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Did you actually ask to talk to the manager because you wanted to pay more?
No, he was asking the manager if the price was correct. It's called doing the right thing. Honesty, more people should try it. :P

I added a laser to my miter saw quite a few years back. The only thing I don't like it is the blade needs to be spinning for it to be on. Otherwise it is pretty handy.

Old 08-08-17, 06:38 PM
The lasers can come in handy. I don't use them that often but it's easier than marking the wood with a square or bending over and looking at your pencil mark for a cut.

I have a 3" circular saw with a laser and I use that laser almost always. It makes following a line a lot easier.

Old 08-08-17, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Honesty, more people should try it. :P
I just went back to the store to pay for 4 boxes of oak flooring I wasn't charged for. About $380 worth... The checker counted wrong and I didn't catch it until over a month later when I had finished the job and was billing the customer.

You're right, it's honesty, but I guess not everyone has a conscience. Sorry if it's off topic.

I've never used a laser on a skilsaw but I suppose it could be helpful.

Old 08-08-17, 07:05 PM
HD once let me inspect a faucet for contents, outside of the security alarm somehow.
Once I got to my truck and looked for a receipt, I noticed I didn't have one.

I went back in and paid. I couldn't allow getting a free faucet and then charging a customer.
That's double trouble as far as Karma.

Old 08-09-17, 03:33 AM
A
Being about 20% and exactly $100 less than I expected to pay, it was just too coincidental, and I was raised better than to take the deal and walk out the door. I don't know for sure because the manager was very professional about it, and insisted that they were not going to deviate from the posted price, but, in retrospect, I walked in when they opened at 6:00 and remember thinking later that morning that he was probably thrilled that it was brought to his attention then, rather than at say 6:00 that evening, after they sold a half dozen or so at that price.

But my main point was how handy the laser turned out to be. Of course it helped that it was blocking, shoring, whatever you want to call it, not cabinetry, so didn't matter if the opposing kerfs didn't match exactly, but all I needed was the saw with the laser; no having to grab a speed square and pencil to transfer to the opposite side or anything like that.

Old 08-09-17, 03:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Did some insulation and went to return 1 bag and blower, Clerk have me credit for all 30 bags I had bought. Told them and they gave me a 10% coupon for any purchase. Kept it till I have a 2000 buy one day and than used it.

Old 08-09-17, 06:08 AM
S
If I had gone into the same store as Pedro & saw the same item at the same price but didn't happen to think that it was incorrect as he did, I would have been quite annoyed if the cashier told me that it cost $100 more. The sale wouldn't have taken place.

Old 08-09-17, 06:18 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
And thats why he may have inquired before packing that thing all the way to the front counter, then being the wrong price. Its just common sense.

Old 08-09-17, 06:27 AM
S
It looked strange to him but it might not have looked strange to others. I might have said, hey that's a good price. I'll take it. It has nothing to do with common sense.

Old 08-09-17, 12:29 PM
A
Sorry, didn't mean to create my own thread drift or whatever it's called, specifically was not trying to point out how much I paid for the saw, but rather was explaining how I ended up buying a laser that I wasn't sure I would use much. Since we're here though, yes, I have had to make spot buys for things that I needed right then, just like everyone else, and didn't always know ahead of time how much they would cost. And most of the time it has worked out okay for me. I have a Skil saw that I bought about 40 years ago because we were doing a roof and the heat that day got to the two saws we were using, so I ran out and bought this one at the only hardware within a reasonable distance, and I've repacked the gear box on it a couple of times but it's still one of my favorites. I even bought my wife's current car off the showroom floor because the engine in her old one died a day or so before, and she's still very happy with it, 10 years and 140,000 miles later. But, in the case of the miter saw, I already had two that worked fine, so no pressure, and I had done enough homework to know what I wanted and how much they cost. And actually, as I recall, I don't think the store I bought it from had the lowest price, but must have been close, and that is where I had the most gift cards for. So I knew going in what the price should have been, and the fact that there were no signs that said "clearance", "special", reduced", or whatever caused me to question the price.

Old 08-09-17, 03:38 PM
S
Sorry Pedro, I didn't mean to knock you for questioning the price. Where I come from, if the price is good for a product that you want, you grab it & run. Maybe it's just something that I learned in the streets. I shouldn't expect everyone to think like me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: