Floor not square

Old 09-09-17, 09:40 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Floor not square

Hello everyone. Looking for some assistance. I'm building the following shed, link below.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Handy-Home-Products-Majestic-8-ft-x-12-ft-Wood-Storage-Shed-18631-8/202205311

Here is how is being build. My foundation is 4x4 12 and 8 ft pressured treated wood laid over blocks.
The floor of the is the shed is laid in top of the 4x4s.
As I was putting the subfloors I noticed that the middle one and last got pushed to the left. By left I mean looking at the shed from front to back (as shown on the link photos above). The right side back subfloor is about an inch off the floor, the left side was an over out if the floor. We cut the out portion. Then I measured the floor and noticed the one corner right to left was 173.5 inches the other right to left is 172 inches. So the floor is not square. And the subfloor are already installed. Also the floor was nailed to the 4x4s.

What can I do now? Because I know the walls are going to be off and I will be having difficulties installing the ceiling. Is there a way to square it now?

Thanks in advance.

As I said to understand my left and rights, I am looking at te photos from above, front to back.

Old 09-09-17, 10:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Would have been nice if the subfloor would have been square (something is 3/4" off...) but the main thing is that your bottom plate be square before you nail it down. Make sure you cut opposite plates the same length... measure them diagonally... move them around on your subfloor as needed to square them up. They will probably hang over the edge of the subfloor here or there, but that's better than the subfloor protruding past the plate. So you may need to make your plates a little longer than your subfloor length. I would guess each side needs to be 3/8" longer just to be safe. Lay them out, square them up... if you want to cut them shorter you can do that later... but until you figure out how much the plates overhang (and where) don't cut them too short.

As long as you square the bottom plate, everything else will work out fine... this is probably something that no one will even notice unless you point it out.

But your opposite sides need to be equal in length, as in a square or rectangle. Otherwise you create a rhombus.

If your opposite subfloor sides are equal lengths, think of it as a parallelogram. And your bottom plate will set on top of it like a square or rectangle.

Old 09-10-17, 02:00 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is going to be a very stupid question. Plates? What do you mean by that? Currently I am on placing the walls up stage. As stated subfloor is already installed. Floor is installed and nailed already to the foundation. After subfloor was installed and nailed that's when I figured that my subfloor / floor was not square.

So. Now I'm trying to figure out how to install the walls with an unsquare floor, without having to rip everything up and starting all over.

Old 09-10-17, 04:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts

Sorry, I forgot that you were putting up a prefab shed... not framing your own.

Your diagonal on a 96x144 triangle should be 173... so your deck diagonal is only 1/2" long. I think your shed will probably sit on it just fine it will just overhang a little somewhere... probably just 1/4". You can't trim the floor off to make it more square? Then maybe power plane the rim if needed?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: