Gas Furnace and Electric Water Heater in Closet

Old 10-11-17, 03:48 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Furnace and Electric Water Heater in Closet

Hi, guys. I'm looking in to renting a place. I am no expert on HVAC stuff, so I was wondering if someone could tell me roughly if this setup is considered safe, because I haven't seen it before. Basically, it's a closet door which I have seen before, but there is a grilled part at the bottom and a filter on the inside of it. Inside, at the bottom is an electric water heater and at the top is a gas furnace. I'm just wondering if this is a safe setup and also what the filter on the door does? Doesn't the filter go inside the furnace usually? Here are some pictures:

Attached Images     
Old 10-11-17, 04:06 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The gas unit needs air to function. That's the reason for the vent & the filter. As far as safety goes, I would want a smoke alarm & a high water alarm outside the closet. Aside from that, what's closer to the exit, the closet or your bedroom? In other words, do you have to pass the closet to get to the door? The location is more important that the fact that both units are in the same closet.

Old 10-11-17, 04:22 PM
M
Hi. All bedrooms are closer to an exit. Yes, I was more concerned with things like having too much CO2 or gas leaks and having another device in there. But, I have numerous smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms. I had a place exactly like this except the furnace was electric and the water heater was outside and electric.

So, the bottom part is the filter for air going in to the closet from the outside of the closet? Should there be some other type of filter in the furnace area itself (like an AC filter)?

Also, if I choose not to use the gas heat, would the ventilation and stuff still work ok?

Thanks for helping.

Old 10-11-17, 04:52 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I really couldn't see what type of unit that is. If you want to post the make & model, I can get more info.

Old 10-11-17, 04:59 PM
M
Thanks, I'll try to find out more. I was just going by the description the realtor gave as having gas heating, but I need to find out the model to be sure I guess.

Old 10-11-17, 08:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
I see no gas appliances in those pictures.
Electric water heater and an air handler not a gas furnace.
It is safe. I have seen this many times except with a chill water air handler and a water heater in a closet.

The only issue I see is if the drain backs up the water gets on the water heater.
I would install a water bug on top of the water heater that turns off the AC if it senses moisture.
I have installed them with that application.

You don't need a full pan, only moisture.

https://www.amazon.com/DiversiTech-W...orporation+WS1

Old 10-12-17, 09:51 PM
M
Thanks, Houston. Can I ask you, do you know if a filter is supposed to go under the air handler also in addition to where it is on the door?

Old 10-13-17, 05:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn’t use a second filter unless you are using an outside air duct to the mechanical closet.

Old 10-13-17, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
The air filter should be on the bottom of the air handler but would be almost impossible to do with that type of installation. If you had the ambition and the wherewithal you could move it from the door to the unit.

Old 10-14-17, 10:46 AM
M
Hi, PJ. Isn't it as simple as taking the filter off the door and putting it under the unit?

Old 10-15-17, 11:25 AM
M
Hi, Houston. What is the downside of using a second filter?

Old 10-15-17, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
What are you going to do..... duct tape it there ?

Old 10-15-17, 01:08 PM
M
Hi, PJ. I found some info on another site to place a basic filter under the air handler as well but leave the one on the door.

Old 10-15-17, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... putting a filter directly under the air handler is the best choice. However, you need a way to hold it there so that it is easily replaceable.

As far as two filters.... leaving the one in the door.... that's ok but needs to be a very non restrictive filter. You need to keep in mind that you don't want to reduce the fresh air in to the air handler any more than needed.

Old 10-15-17, 01:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The air handler filter rack will usually require a special order filter. I see the rack is missing the door. If a filter is in there it has sucked up into the unit because I see no filter in the air handler.

Too many air filters can cause a high external static pressure. I have seen homeowners use two of the extremely restrictive 3M filters in this manner and cause the system to ice up and stop cooling. This is hard on the compressor.

In the heat mode too much air restriction can cause the electric heat strips to melt.

It looks like that unit was running during construction and saw dust is sitting in the closet.
I would shop vac the closet but wouldn't use two filters.
If you use two filters one of them should be the 99 cent type that isn't restrictive.

Old 10-15-17, 01:59 PM
M
Thanks, guys, this seems to fall in line with what others are telling me. For some reason, I thought you could just slide a filter in that space under the air handler. I didn't think it would get sucked up or anything. I'm going to find out the model number and maybe I can get one of those filters with the handle on them and then put a cheaper one on the door.

Old 12-01-17, 02:16 PM
M
Hi, guys. I got a new air handler and was going to replace the filters today. First thing I noticed was the air filter arrow was facing towards me, not towards the unit. Shouldn't it be facing towards the unit? Also, when I took the filter off, there is this area of metal you can see in the 2nd picture with some condensation/water. What could be causing that?

Old 12-01-17, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
The filter needs to have the arrow point in the direction of the airflow.

That is the evaporator coil. During A/C operation water collects on the metal fins and then runs down into the pan. In a perfect world, and installation, the condensation should all drain out of the pan thru the drain line so that the pan is empty.

If you've used the A/C recently.... the pan could still be wet. You don't want a lot of water left in the pan as that promotes mod and pan rusting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: